Can I Freeze Unused Glace?

Baking By JGMB Updated 11 May 2011 , 4:19pm by OneCreativeCookie

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 3 May 2011 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 6

Somehow, I made waaaaay too much glace when I was decorating cookies today. I hate to throw it away, but don't have time to make more cookies. Could I possibly freeze it? TIA!

Julie

5 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 4 May 2011 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 6

If the choice is to freeze or throw away, you might as well freeze it. Then, you can check to see how it handles the freezer. What are you out for trying? I'd LOVE to know how it does!

JGMB Posted 4 May 2011 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 6

Good thinking, Gemini! If and when I do get around to using it, I'll let you know if it was usable and how it tasted.

messy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy1 Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:15am
post #4 of 6

I freeze the icing all the time. I freeze the piping bags too. I take the tip off, cover the end with saran wrap and place the bags in a ziploc bag to be put in the freezer. I get them out and massage them when they have thawed and they are fine. The glace icing goes into tupperware and into the freezer. I take it out, thaw, stir and use alone or add it to the new batch if it is the same color. I have not had any problems with the taste. Of course, I just make cookies for my family and friends...nothing professional so I don't have as much pressure for the cookies to be perfect. Don't throw that icing away....

JGMB Posted 6 May 2011 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much, Messy1!!!! I see you're a fellow Illinoisan -- you can always count on a midwesterner for help. thumbs_up.gif

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 11 May 2011 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by messy1

I freeze the icing all the time. I freeze the piping bags too. I take the tip off, cover the end with saran wrap and place the bags in a ziploc bag to be put in the freezer. I get them out and massage them when they have thawed and they are fine. The glace icing goes into tupperware and into the freezer. I take it out, thaw, stir and use alone or add it to the new batch if it is the same color. I have not had any problems with the taste. Of course, I just make cookies for my family and friends...nothing professional so I don't have as much pressure for the cookies to be perfect. Don't throw that icing away....

I do the exact same thing! Perfect when I have an order that will be repeated in the near future, but not near enough to save the icing in the fridge. I had a small amount of bleeding from previously frozen orange onto new white recently, but it was so minor that only I noticed it and only when very close up - I'm pretty darn picky about this. My previously frozen icing wasn't quite up to room temp when I used it so I think that may have contributed in some way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%