Silver Dragees

Decorating By Debcent Updated 5 May 2011 , 2:12am by Coral3

Debcent Posted 3 May 2011 , 11:10pm
post #1 of 5

Hi I decorated my cake dummie with 8mm silver dragees on fondant using piping get as glue, and I noticed some of them are tarnishing. Is there a way to prevent this? now my cake doesnt look to good icon_sad.gif Please help! This cake is for a wedding.

4 replies
Coral3 Posted 3 May 2011 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 5

Are they tarnishing only where they got piping gel on them? Piping gel may dissolve the silver surface of the dragees.

Debcent Posted 4 May 2011 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 5

coral3, I think that may be the problem- Thanks. Do you know if i can safely remove the dried gel without further damaging the dragees? I was thinking...maybe using vodka and gently with a Q-tip trying to remove the goo that got on the outside of the silver dragee. What do you think would work?

bbmom Posted 4 May 2011 , 9:45pm
post #4 of 5

In my experience any moisture, from your hands, icing, vodka will rub off the silver.

Coral3 Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:12am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debcent

coral3, I think that may be the problem- Thanks. Do you know if i can safely remove the dried gel without further damaging the dragees? I was thinking...maybe using vodka and gently with a Q-tip trying to remove the goo that got on the outside of the silver dragee. What do you think would work?

I think that would likely make them worse. The only way to fix it is to replace the dragees..beg careful not to over-handle them (I suggest using tweezers, if you don't already) and use gel sparingly so it's doesn't get on the dragees where it will show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%