Ok, This S**t Is Reeeally Getting Old. Some People.

Lounge By SweetAsLemmons Updated 3 May 2011 , 10:10pm by Amberwaves

SweetAsLemmons Posted 3 May 2011 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 7

Apparently, it is too difficult for some people to have exact change these days, which makes no sense if THEY KNOW BEFOREHAND how much they are going to pay.

This has happened to me about 3 times already. Someone calls, places an order, I fill it. Now, I usually NEVER EVER make anything without receiving payment up front first BUT, sometimes, if it is someone who has ordered from me in the past AND it is a last minute thing and I need the money, I will allow them to pay upon pick up (I know where they live anyway).

Here is where it gets annoying. When they come to pick up the goods, they are a few bucks short or "they don't have change". I quoted you $45, and you give me $40?!!! Would they pull that s**t at Starbucks? Oh, and the best part: "I'm sorry, I don't have change, but don't worry, I will be ordering a lot from you in the future." WTF?

And so the question emerges. How in the world do I handle this without sounding petty over $5 the "forget". I just feel it is very rude and it needs to be dealt with, in a professional manner.

6 replies
leah_s Posted 3 May 2011 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 7

"You can write me a check for $5."

Or

"I'll hold the cake while you run to the nearest ATM. It's located at . . ."

Then don't say anything else, but hold onto that cake box like your life depended on it.

You have to teach people how to treat you.

SweetAsLemmons Posted 3 May 2011 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 7

The last time I had a woman go get break her crisp $100 bill at the liquor store on the corner. But when they show up and only have $40 instead of the $43, how do I address that?

au_decorator_76 Posted 3 May 2011 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAsLemmons

The last time I had a woman go get break her crisp $100 bill at the liquor store on the corner. But when they show up and only have $40 instead of the $43, how do I address that?

Same way.... "I'll wait here while you get the $3". It might seem petty but you aren't responsible for how they spend their money.... they knew what it cost before coming to pick it up. If you have to start going to money first then order to get all due then do so. I don't remember who said it but you have to teach people how to treat you!

jason_kraft Posted 3 May 2011 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetAsLemmons

I have the same advice as Leah...they don't get the cake until they come up with the remainder of the balance due.

We occasionally get a customer who shows up without cash expecting to pay by credit card (even though this is mentioned on our web site, on the invoice, and in the email to the customer), we kindly direct them to the nearest ATM. Never had an issue.

cgm_cakes Posted 3 May 2011 , 9:51pm
post #6 of 7

I also make a point on the phone of telling them "that'll be $$$. Please bring exact cash as I do not carry change." Plain and simple.

Amberwaves Posted 3 May 2011 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 7

Are you verifying beforehand what the total is with tax? If you are and they come with less $$ anyway, then they should be the ones to have to go back out and get the rest before they get the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%