Colouring Buttercream

Decorating By Emma92 Updated 3 May 2011 , 8:44pm by TexasSugar

Emma92 Posted 3 May 2011 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 5

Hi i need some help!!

to colour my buttercream i just use a basic food colouring but i can never get a really strong deep colour so i end up having to use loads of food colouring and it sometimes makes it taste abit funky!!!

is there any good colouring i could buy that would work better??

thanks icon_smile.gif

4 replies
aprilismaius Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 5

I really like americolor gel pastes.

TexasSugar Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 5

Buttercream darkens over time. Make dark colors ahead of time. Add some in there, and let it sit for an hour or so. If it doesn't get dark enough add in some more and wait again. For black if you get to a dark gray it will usually turn black after sitting. This will let you use a little less color in them.

sillywabbitz Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:38pm
post #4 of 5

As TexasSugar mentioned resting definitely helps but the brand of color can also make a difference. I use America Super Red and Super Black and now that Hobby Lobby has started carrying the Americolors, I'll start replacing my Wilton colors as needed. I heard the Duff neon colors are also very good. In a pinch I will definitely use the Wilton pre-colored tubes for small areasicon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 5

I've made red and black with Wilton colors, so it can be done. I think coloring small amounts like 1/2 to 1 cups is a lot easier to do than coloring large amounts.

To me because the Americolors are gels and not a paste, they actually make my icing softer when making darker colors.

I do use both Wilton and Americolor at home depending on what colors I am using. I also think personally that Duff's colors are Americolor with his name on them. The electric colors in both are the same to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%