Alternative To Buttercream Icing For Wedding Cake

Decorating By camomama5 Updated 4 May 2011 , 1:27am by Marianna46

camomama5 Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:02pm
post #1 of 5

I hate the taste of buttercream icing (Crisco and conf. sugar, etc yes vanilla extract). What else could I use for a wedding cake that is still good for a June wedding and is good to work with for decorations, etc but tastes way better. What about some kind of marshmallow or whipped something or other?????? Any help at all is appreciated. Thanks!

4 replies
jenmat Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:11pm
post #2 of 5

I would do Italian meringue buttercream under fondant. Yum Yum Yum.

camomama5 Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 5

Do you have a good recipe for that? And thank you!

jenmat Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:51am
post #4 of 5

I don't have a link to the Italian buttercream, but if you google Italian Meringue buttercream, you should find some recipes.
I have my own recipe for fondant, but most people purchase it as they don't always have a mixer that can handle it.

Marianna46 Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:27am
post #5 of 5

Well, as many of you know by now (since I keep harping on it!), I'm a big fan of ganache. It's the thing that will hold up the best in the heat, at least while you're putting the fondant on - after that it can get soft, but it doesn't change the shape of the cake. You can make it with either dark, milk or white chocolate and you can vary the flavor with extracts (vanilla, almond, citrus and berry flavorings work the best as far as I'm concerned). Also, even easier to make than buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%