To Dowel Or Not To Dowel.... That Is The Question

Decorating By Caker16 Updated 15 May 2011 , 6:55am by Caker16

Caker16 Posted 3 May 2011 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 9

I am about to make a beer mug cake (4 stacked 6" rounds) covered in buttercream and fondant. I am putting a cardboard round in the middle to separate, but will this cake need the support of a dowel? I was also going to make a graduation cap out of RKT and lean it against the beer mug so I want to make sure it can support it (even if it is light). Any suggestions!?

8 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 3 May 2011 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 9

You are supposed to dowel every 4 inches of cake (generally 2 layers) so the answer would be yes. If you are also going to be traveling with it then you would want a center dowel as well (in my opinion).

I use SPS and prefer it to dowels and for a cake like this I think it's a perfect solution but if you don't have time to order it, you still need to support the top 4 inches of cake. Hope that helps.

kristiemarie Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 9

When in doubt, dowel. Cake is heavier than you think. icon_wink.gif

RobinO Posted 3 May 2011 , 6:17pm
post #4 of 9

I did a cake like that a few weeks ago and it will definitely be heavier than you might think. Better safe than sorry - I'd dowel it!

Caker16 Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the advice- will definitely dowel. Its probably too late for SPS but I will look into that for future cakes. Thanks again!

Caker16 Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:00am
post #6 of 9

Just an update... I used a long dowel going through the entire beer mug and used 3 dowels for the bottom half with a cardboard round separator and it worked beautifully! Didn't have to worry about it at all. Once again thanks for the great advice!

To see a picture check out my photos

joycesdaughter111 Posted 9 May 2011 , 5:30am
post #7 of 9

The cake turned out great. Love the foam. thumbs_up.gif

RobinO Posted 9 May 2011 , 12:57pm
post #8 of 9

That looks awesome!

Caker16 Posted 15 May 2011 , 6:55am
post #9 of 9

thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%