Stablizing Cream Cheese Icing

Baking By AnitaK Updated 8 Jun 2011 , 1:25pm by LindaF144a

AnitaK Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 12

Any ideas on what to do to stablize cream cheese icing. I thought about adding shortening but haven't tried it. Just wondering . . . .

11 replies
tahoengirl Posted 15 May 2011 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 12

There is a recipe here that adds a half cup of shortening to the cream cheese along with butter.I have yet to try it though.

AnitaK Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks for the info - I wondered if shortening would aid in stablizing.

Not sure why I'm not being notified when a reply is posted but I just happened to browse and saw your repsonse.

icer101 Posted 5 Jun 2011 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 12

When you make the stabilized cream cheese icing, it does not taste as good as the true cream cheese icing. I make it at times(when i have to) it is good , but not as good as the original. it is not as tangy.

LindaF144a Posted 6 Jun 2011 , 1:15am
post #5 of 12

Stabilize? In which way?
I made it with butter, butter and shortening, all shortening, and butter and gelatin.
There was no noticeable taste difference between them. Possibly if there was a taste difference then you added too much shortening, or the wrong kind.

Ingredient brand, which brand of cream cheese and your recipe will all yield different results. The best way to find out is to take your recipe and try some taste recipes.

In the end I ended up use my original recipe as nothing stabilized it to my liking. I just do not use my cream cheese recipe as a icing under fondant (only as a filling), or to get a smooth as glass finish. When I use it to frost a cake it gets a swirl put onto the top instead.

AnitaK Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 2:59am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaF144a

Stabilize? In which way?
I made it with butter, butter and shortening, all shortening, and butter and gelatin.
There was no noticeable taste difference between them. Possibly if there was a taste difference then you added too much shortening, or the wrong kind.

Ingredient brand, which brand of cream cheese and your recipe will all yield different results. The best way to find out is to take your recipe and try some taste recipes.

In the end I ended up use my original recipe as nothing stabilized it to my liking. I just do not use my cream cheese recipe as a icing under fondant (only as a filling), or to get a smooth as glass finish. When I use it to frost a cake it gets a swirl put onto the top instead.

The taste was awesome. By stablizing, I meant didn't soften quickly as in held up better. Using cream cheese and butter, the icing soften so quickly and completely, had I not doweled it the layers would have just slid off.

cakeladytx Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:31am
post #7 of 12

Will cream cheese icing not hold up under fondant? I have a person that wants a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing and covered in fondant, which I haven't had any orders for that so I haven't tried it before.

sebrina Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:49am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

When you make the stabilized cream cheese icing, it does not taste as good as the true cream cheese icing. I make it at times(when i have to) it is good , but not as good as the original. it is not as tangy.

I agree. It kind of lessens the cream cheese taste. But unless I taste them side be side, I can't tell. It did still taste like cream cheese icing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeladytx

Will cream cheese icing not hold up under fondant? I have a person that wants a red velvet cake with cream cheese icing and covered in fondant, which I haven't had any orders for that so I haven't tried it before.

I use this recipe...
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2047/crusting-cream-cheese-icing
and it works just fine under fondant. I even used it on a carved cake before. This one was cream cheese icing under fondant...
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1918767

HTH!

cakeladytx Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:57am
post #9 of 12

Thanks Sabrina makes me feel better about doing it now. I love your cake too, the car was awesome.

sebrina Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 3:59am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeladytx

Thanks Sabrina makes me feel better about doing it now. I love your cake too, the car was awesome.

icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 4:04am
post #11 of 12

I have done it and it worked well. I use cream cheese and butter. I put it on thick too. I use Fondarific and put it on the cold icing. I think the fondarific molds to the cake quickly and does not put weight on the frosting. If the cake is in air conditioning during delivery and while sitting, it works. Like anything, the conditions must be right and the client must understand. When I get a client that I don't feel completely comfortable about taking care of the cake, I will say no. I really think Fondarific is the key to my success with cream cheese frosting.

LindaF144a Posted 8 Jun 2011 , 1:25pm
post #12 of 12

I see what you are saying. My CC frosting is the same way. I either use it as a filling and then ice with SMBC before putting on fondant. Or I also did it this way. I made one for a friend about two weeks ago. Instead of decorations she was putting number candles on the cake. So I didn't bother to smooth the cake. I smoothed the sides and did a beautiful swirl on top. This is the way I'll be handling it in my shop just like a OP stated. Besides getting a great CC taste, the cake will cost less because with no decorations on the cake and not having to make it glass smooth it is a less expensive cake. And lots of people like less expensive over highly decorated.

I have had it where one cake shop said it was cream cheese frosting, but you really had to concentrate to find that CC taste. When I taste tested my CC frosting, everybody preferred the tangy CC over the hint of CC. That's okay because sometimes it comes down to taste over decoration. I had one person tell me that they never said they didn't like cake because it was ugly, but plenty of time they have said they didn't like the cake because of the taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%