New Ovens!! Advice Needed

Decorating By jamcakes Updated 9 May 2011 , 4:35am by sunset74

jamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamcakes Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 9

Finally, after over 10 years of cake-baking, I am going to get new, DOUBLE ovens in my kitchen. I cannot wait!! But, not sure if there is a brand or type that would be better for baking cakes. And I have never used convection - is it helpful? Better or worse than conventional ovens?

Any advice would be really, really, appreciated.

TIA,
Julie

8 replies
cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 4 May 2011 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 9

I just purchased a convection oven for my house kitchen. It is not a double oven, but a regular slide in stove top/oven.

The main thing is to buy a "true convenction". Just having a fan won't help. My convection oven has 3 heating elements - top, bottom and one behind the fan. That way the fan is blowing in air the same temp at the oven interior which gives extremely even baking.

I bake every week with all three racks full of pans with no problems.

BrandeR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandeR Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:19am
post #3 of 9

I purchased Jennair double ovens 2 years ago. From the day they were installed, they did not work right. After 20+ service calls and every part being replaced, they finally agreed to replace the unit. I replaced them with Kitchenaid and have been very pleased. I agree that you will want true convection, and the model I have has convection on the top and bottom ovens.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:56am
post #4 of 9

Ah, I wish I had my computer up and running b/c typing a long post from a smart phone is not ideal.

They are right, definitely make sure if you are going to bother with convection that you get true onvection. If it were me, I would definitely go with at least a Bosch or Kitchenaid. Just go ahead and skip Jennair, Whirlpool, Frigidaire, anything in that lower price range. Not that they are bad for a regular oven, but not convection. (I used to sell appliances, can you tell?)

My dream is a Dacor 30" double oven. Hidden bake elements, 3 elements with reverse air flow on the convection fan, ball bearing racks with full gliding extension, glass touch controls, glass enclosed broiler... sigh. I can dream.

Aside from research research, my only advice is do not get caught up in the extras. Sure, that built in menu control panel with the custom LED colors is super cool, but reality is 95% of the time you use it will be to hit "convection bake" "325". Though ovens with the built in meat probe is super handy come turkey time!

Sorry if I sound like an appliance snob, but I miss selling them so much! I loved cooking demo days. Such fun. Feel free to message me if you have more in depth questions.

Oh! And you've probably tought of this already, but if you're using an existing cabinet space make sure it's got a large enough cavity and can be modified to support the weight of a new oven.

So very excited for you!! icon_smile.gif

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 5 May 2011 , 5:41am
post #5 of 9

My advice too is if you bake large cakes, you might want to measure the oven. I can't fit a 16" round cake pan inside. With the fan in the back it takes up space and I can't shut the door with the larger pans.

jamcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamcakes Posted 7 May 2011 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the tips. I'm leaning towards a Bosch right now. I like the extra space inside. We were thinking Kenmore Pro, but my 16" pans wouldn't fit!

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 8 May 2011 , 2:13am
post #7 of 9

I have a bosch range, and I love it. It just barely fits my 16" pans, but it bakes wonderfully!

welder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
welder Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:03am
post #8 of 9

I agree with SammieB, Don't waste your money on whirlpool or jennair. I "thought" I had done my research but failed. I first purchase a whirlpool convection oven and had trouble with it from date one. My 16" pan would fit and I was excited about that and that was all I was excited about. Finally customer service gave me my money back. Then I bought a JEnnair convection and again started with service again. Did not cook even Finally service tech told me i would have to turn my cake half way through cooking!!! And convection --- can't tell the difference. Needless to say I would LOVE to have another oven.

sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 9 May 2011 , 4:35am
post #9 of 9

I have a fridgidare, but it is not a cheap one like someone suggested. The one I have is from their professional series and I have been known to cook 48 cupcakes at atime. Usually I just use two shelves but have been thinking about putting it to the true test and using all three racks. I LOVE it. I had a cheap one before and as many said don't go that route. It is not a good one. I love mine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%