Martha Stewart Wedding Cakes - Anyone Have This Book???

Decorating By SheriCakes4u Updated 3 May 2011 , 9:18pm by SheriCakes4u

SheriCakes4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheriCakes4u Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:33pm
post #1 of 6

I've been asked to make the Eyelet Wedding Cake on page 109 of the Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes book, co-written by Wendy Kromer.

1) Does anyone out there have this book?
2) How detailed are the instructions in the book for this particular cake?

I'm thinking of buying the book, but I don't live anywhere near a bookstore that would carry it. I don't mind buying it if it has good instructions for decorating the eyelet cake, but don't want to spend the $$ if it's too general.

In particular, I'm looking for how to get the eyelet fondant on the cake (I'm assuming it's a strip of fondant that has the eyelets cut and then attached to the fondant covered cake). What's the best way to get the fondant strip onto the cake without stretching the eyelets out of shape? does the strip need to have gumpaste kneeded into it to help it hold it's shape? What kind of cutter is used for the ribbon on the bottom layer?

I've attempted to attach a picture of the cake...hopefully it WILL attach icon_rolleyes.gif

5 replies
Reyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reyna Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 6

I have the book... i don't recall any details on how to decorate them... email me the pic of the one you want and i'll get you pics of those pages. [email protected]

SheriCakes4u Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 6

Trying again to attach a photo...

aprilismaius Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilismaius Posted 3 May 2011 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 6

i have the book, (autographed by wendy!), and learned how to do eyelet in a class i took from the great lady herself.

a few things that you may or may not see in the book. the pattern is on the sides only. we used a pasta machine to roll the fondant pieces out evenly, fmm frill cutters, pme broderie anglaise cutters, a some other cutters from jb prince. we did all the piping with a 1.5 pme tip.

the trick to this is working as quickly as possible on cutting out the design from fondant. keep the portions of the strip you are not working on covered with saran wrap.

also, make sure you have a heaping dose of patience available, because if you don't work quickly, you will be frustrated.

keep the cut portion of the design simple, but go crazy with the royal icing piping once you've got the fondant on the cake.

can you get the book from library?

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 6

I love that cake. I wish someone would ask me to do it! Instead I get the white-swiss-dot with a ribbon brides. Sigh.

SheriCakes4u Posted 3 May 2011 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 6

Well, if you are free the week of June 4, you can certainly come help!!! I'd let you do it for free LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%