How Do You Please A Pregnant Bride??

Decorating By ChefCJ619 Updated 7 May 2011 , 11:19pm by costumeczar

ChefCJ619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefCJ619 Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:06am
post #1 of 17

I feel like so far, this wedding cake is a potential disaster and I haven't even made it yet. I have done two tastings (actually, three, she didn't show for one) for a pregnant bride. She said she wanted strawberry cake with cream cheese icing. I would normally pair strawberry, with a light, whipped icing, but she is the customer.

I made a strawberry champagne cake with strawberry simple syrup, fresh strawberries, white chocolate mousse and cream cheese icing. She said she prefers the taste of strawberry cake mix. Okay, no prob. I made two other recipes that start with strawberry cake mix and everyone else who tried then thought they were delicious.

Granted, she didn't show to taste the second recipe, but seriously. Has anyone else experienced trying to please a pregnant bride? I've never been pregnant, but does it mess with your taste buds? I'm considering throwing in the towel. I have always gotten compliments on the flavor of my cakes.....

16 replies
sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:19am
post #2 of 17

The only thing I could suggest is give her what she wants. Have her pay for what you want her to pay and make her a strawberry boxed cake. I know it is not what you would prefer but you would be giving her what it seems she wants.

The other option is maybe talk her into only doingn one tier that flavor because lots of people may be allergic to strawberry so it might be a good idea to give some other options, then not everyone would be eating a boxed mix. I feel for you, I can't imagine having to do that many tasteing.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:52am
post #3 of 17

Big red flag--- she didn't show for the second tasting. Pregnant or not that is discourteous.

myslady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myslady Posted 3 May 2011 , 6:02am
post #4 of 17

It can, my sister can't stand the taste or smell of roast when she is pregnant.

The purpose of the tasting is to see if she likes your baking skills, not every cake you make.

Laurelj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laurelj Posted 3 May 2011 , 6:02am
post #5 of 17

Here is another idea for tastings, that my daughter and I use which works out very well for us. We actually charge for tastings and then if they decide to book with us the cost of the tasting is deducted from price of the order. That way you get paid for the tasting and they get an incentive to book with you. Plus it weeds out all the riff raff that just wants go go around and taste product for free everywhere.

Another idea we just recently used since we usually only offer tastings for orders of 60 servings or more and this potential client only wanted cake for 30 servings. We suggested the client make a purchase of a dozen cupcakes and we offered two flavors 1/2 dozen of each with two flavors of buttercream and up to two fillings. That way they can take them home and share with family or friends.

Others have said that when they have extra batter from orders they make mini cupcakes and freeze them for later use at tastings. I have not done this as I like my tastings to always be fresh.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:23am
post #6 of 17

She sounds like a PITA, pregnant or not. I would write her off.

However, I shoudl disclose thjat the only pregnant bride I have had was a nasty piece of work, and in hindsight I should not have bothered with her multiple special requests, plus the fact that she tried to rip me off. I still shudder when I think back on her order (including her calling me ON her wedding day before the reception wondering why her cake had not been delivered yet!!)

Maybe its the hormones. Tastes do change when you're pregnant, but a wedding reception is NOT about the bride (the WEDDING and the MARRIAGE are about the bride)...the wedding reception is about being a good host to your guests and that includes offering them cake that they'd like to eat!

ChefCJ619 Posted 6 May 2011 , 7:42pm
post #7 of 17

I disclosed to her that the price of the tasting is included with the price of the cake. She did add an extra $50 to the cake for flaking on the second tasting, which was thoughtful. I made her cupcakes for her bridal shower and charged her my normal price, she didn't like those either and so I finally ask her if she'll allow me to make strawberry cake how it is intended and I made a "fourth" taster. I had some friends sample it as well to make sure I'm not going crazy and they all loved it. She says she's going to cancel the order should she not like this tasting (please do) and I informed her that the deposit is non-refundable. She hit the roof and now wants the $50 back that they gave me for the second tasting she flaked on. Isn't that why you take deposits, to cover your expenses should they cancel? I've already ordered items for her cake as her wedding is a month away. Plus I'm guessing she won't show for the fourth tasting either and I will have to cover those costs as well.

hollyml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyml Posted 7 May 2011 , 6:46am
post #8 of 17

Well, yes, being pregnant does mess with your taste buds. But honestly, that's beside the point.

You can't argue with a customer, or potential customer, about what tastes good. It's a matter of taste. icon_smile.gif When you offer tastings, you're giving the potential customer an opportunity to decide if she likes what you have to offer -- and if so, a chance to pick her favorite flavor or flavors for the final order. At least, when I planned my wedding that's what I expected to be doing at tastings.

In this instance, the potential customer did not like what you have to offer. The appropriate response is not to schedule another tasting or to tell her that other people like your cake; it's to thank her for her consideration and send her on her way...to someone else.

Unless, of course, you're willing to sell her a cake made from a strawberry-flavored boxed mix. Not a cake that *starts* with a boxed mix, but a cake made exactly per the instructions on the box. Because when she says she prefers a boxed mix cake, that's what she means. And you don't need to schedule another tasting for that either.

Holly

BakerAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerAnn Posted 7 May 2011 , 7:21am
post #9 of 17

Do you have written into your contract that the deposit is to hold the date and is non-refundable? I have in writing that I am able to accept a limited number of weddings per week. A deposit is "good-faith" money and other orders might have been declined, therefore it is not refundable.

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 7 May 2011 , 8:35am
post #10 of 17

i agree, if you want to keep the order just make her a plain ole boxed mix. thats what she wants. being pregnant really does mess with ur taste buds. i had huge issues with salt when i was pregnant, i just couldn't taste it. i put salt on everything and im not really a salt eater. however if you think that this is gonna just be a PITA, then just keep ur deposit, cut your losses and let her find another baker

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 7 May 2011 , 10:17am
post #11 of 17

Your cake flavors sound delicious! However, I know from experience that not everyone appreciates a quality scratch cake. Many people are used to grocery store cakes that come from a mix. I think after the first tasting where she said she liked boxed mix cake, I might have arranged a second tasting with strawberry cake made exactly like the box and cream cheese filling. Just EXACTLY what she asked for. Maybe she would have been happy then. If you don't feel like you can sell a cake like that, tell her to go somewhere else and if your contract provides for it, keep the deposit. Someone else can make the profit from the $1.25 cake mix cake and everyone is happy!

wildflowercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wildflowercakes Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:25pm
post #12 of 17

OMG! A hormonal bridezilla YIKES! icon_twisted.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 May 2011 , 12:43pm
post #13 of 17

Drop her like she's a hot potato! (I'm 39 weeks pregnant myself here and hormonal, etc. Now granted I've been married for 5 years, so I'm not involved in extra stress issues). So I'm sure that she is quick to go a little crazy being pregnant and a bride. But as someone said earlier, the tasting is to see if the bride and groom like your baking, not every single recipe. Obviously, no one is going to like every single flavor that you make. I think you should offer to make her some other flavors (besides strawberry); perhaps your most popular flavors. And encourage her to go a different flavor route or possibly a different route altogether, if she's not happy. Because as someone said earlier, the cake is also about feeding all the guests. And that way you don't have to worry about a pregnant bridezilla.

For the record, my taste buds haven't changed at all. I do crave specific things - like olives for example. But no changes in taste buds. But everyone is different, so ya never know.

Good luck!

ChefCJ619 Posted 7 May 2011 , 7:29pm
post #14 of 17

When I first started making fondant cakes, I would sometimes use strawberry cake mix cake, just like it says on the box. Each time, given the cake is very light, it didn't have enough structure to build a solid cake, would get smooshed and the cake would look lumpy, so I stopped using it. This is why I used recipes that started with strawberry cake mix instead of just the mix itself. I cannot find DH strawberry mix and maybe that is the one to use? Anyhow, I tried explaining this to her and she said, "I don't get it." If she wasn't an old friend from college, I would've dropped her after the first no show. Obviously I could not make her happy and hopefully she can find someone who can. She's only got 3 weeks before her wedding! BTW, I took her last sample cake to work (she cancelled after I made it, but before tasting it) and it was devoured. Her loss is everyone else's gain.icon_wink.gif

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 7 May 2011 , 8:48pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyml

Well, yes, being pregnant does mess with your taste buds. But honestly, that's beside the point.

You can't argue with a customer, or potential customer, about what tastes good. It's a matter of taste. icon_smile.gif When you offer tastings, you're giving the potential customer an opportunity to decide if she likes what you have to offer -- and if so, a chance to pick her favorite flavor or flavors for the final order. At least, when I planned my wedding that's what I expected to be doing at tastings.

In this instance, the potential customer did not like what you have to offer. The appropriate response is not to schedule another tasting or to tell her that other people like your cake; it's to thank her for her consideration and send her on her way...to someone else.

Unless, of course, you're willing to sell her a cake made from a strawberry-flavored boxed mix. Not a cake that *starts* with a boxed mix, but a cake made exactly per the instructions on the box. Because when she says she prefers a boxed mix cake, that's what she means. And you don't need to schedule another tasting for that either.

Holly

I agree with Holly 100 percent. Being pregnant does not give one license to be a douchebag, friend or not. Give her the the number to your local Wal Mart and tell her to order from there or pick up some cake mix and have at it! thumbs_up.gif

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 May 2011 , 9:07pm
post #16 of 17

<39 weeks prego here, my tastes have COMPLETELY changed. I used to drown my food in hot sauce and peppers and I loved spicy food... I went from being able to eat straight jalepenos to not even being able to put regular black pepper on anything anymore. My husband calls me the bloodhound, I can taste subtle stuff that literally nobody can and I can smell stuff from a mile away. I used to hate crab, now all of a sudden I am in heaven gourging myself on it. So anyway, yeah, tastes can totally change.

I also sympathize with her missing an appointment, personally this pregnancy has literally kicked my butt - I've had countless days making cake for clients trying not to cry at how sick it was making me. The smell, taste, even the sound of the mixer all sent me running to the toilet.

But... that's no excuse for her to treat you the way you are describing. There's sympathizing with the uncontrollable things going on in her body, and then there is Pregnant Bridezilla, thinking the world doubly revolves around her.

I would suggest doing a final tasting 2 weeks before the wedding to finalize her flavors(with her making full payment of the cake prior to), what tastes bad to her at 16 weeks prego will probably taste great at 30 weeks, so see if you can convince her in that direction. If not, you might just be better off refunding her money and sending her packing.

Jen

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 7 May 2011 , 11:19pm
post #17 of 17

I did a tasting recentlt where EVERYONE loved the strawberry cake with white chocolate cream cheese icing best, which surprised me.

Having said that, this woman sounds like a wench, and if she hasn't booked the date for sure with you I'd tell her that you think she'd be better off going to someone else. It sounds like she's booked you already, though, so if that's the case I agree that you should tell her that you can do one more tasting, maybe closer to the wedding, but that's it. You have to set limits. It's a tasting, not a 24-hour cake buffet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%