What Is A DecoratorS Hourly Wage In Md?

Business By CauldronCakeBaker Updated 4 May 2011 , 12:52am by CauldronCakeBaker

CauldronCakeBaker Posted 3 May 2011 , 4:55am
post #1 of 4

Ive been offered a job as a wedding cake decorator for a small catering business and she wants to know how much I would charge. I have no idea what the going rate for wedding cake decorators would be in this area (Frederick). I dont want to go too high and scare the owner off, but I also dont want to sell myself short. Any ideas?

Even a ballpark figure would help get me started. Or direct me to someplace that I could find out. None of the bakeries in the area are hiring and they wont say what they pay.

I am currently working in a bakeshop as a clerk (not as a decorator) and I know Im under paid for the amount of work I do, but this would be different. I have been decorating cakes for 12 years now and have done more then a few wedding cakes. Its only a part time gig doing the wedding cakes for this small catering business, about 4 or 5 cakes a month currently, but it could grow into much more. Right now I cant quit my day job as a clerk, so the wedding cake decorator position would have to be at night a few nights a week at most. The owner would do all the baking and making fillings and frostings. All I would have to do is fill, frost, assemble and decorate the cakes.

Is it worth me taking on a second job?

3 replies
madicakes Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 4

When I worked as a cake decorator in Westminster Md I was making about $11 per hour in a grocery store. Hope that gives you some idea.

cakification Posted 3 May 2011 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 4

I'm nowhere near your area ( different country in fact!) but I just wanted to say that judging by your photos, make sure you don't sell yourself short.. You do great work!

CauldronCakeBaker Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:52am
post #4 of 4

Thank you both. For the information and the complement. From the little bit of info I have been able to dig up, the avg. is between $11.00 and $15.00.

Quote by @%username% on %date%