I Really Need Ideas For A Cake!

Decorating By janicecold Updated 3 May 2011 , 8:48pm by janicecold

janicecold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicecold Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:40am
post #1 of 7

I have a cake order for next week and the theme they want is a Red Carpet Diva cake. The thing is I am not sure what decorations I can do for it and they want to keep it at $35 which can be pretty tough!
Any ideas what I can do would be soooo appreciated!

Thanks!
Janice

6 replies
cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 3 May 2011 , 4:10am
post #2 of 7

make a cake with red icing, texturize it to look like carpet and write Happy Birthday diva... $35.00 for a cake doesn't give you much more of an option.

kjaonline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjaonline Posted 3 May 2011 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 7

Take some inspiration from the royal wedding! icon_biggrin.gif

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 May 2011 , 1:03pm
post #4 of 7

I wouldn't be able to make a cake for that little. Maybe a tiny 4" cake.

How big will this cake be?

janicecold Posted 3 May 2011 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 7

I am baking an 8 inch round for it.

Thanks for the idea. I was thinking of covering it in buttercream and then make a red carpet come down the side with afew stars on it. I thought that would be fairly easy and pretty quick to decorate.

Janice

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 May 2011 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 7

Well an 8" cake will serve 20, so at $35.00 that would be $1.75/serving. Think about how much it would cost you to make the cake. Me... that would be $20 in ingredients and disposables (cake circle and a base board) leaving only $15 for profit, and then there's the electricity to bake the cake, gas to shop for ingredients, the cake will probably take a few hours to bake and fill/ice and decorate... I'd be left making about $3/hour for my work.

You need to decide how much your time is worth... me... my time is worth a lot more than $3/hour, and I'm willing to bet your is too.

icon_biggrin.gif

janicecold Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 7

I am now getting $45 for it so that is better. For ingredients and what not it is only around $10-12. I am just starting off so when I get busier I will be charging more for my cake. Here in Winnipeg people can be a bit what should we say, cheap!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%