Cake Dilemma..please Help Baking In The Morning!!!

Decorating By Kiwiheather Updated 3 May 2011 , 3:38am by Lcubed82

Kiwiheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiwiheather Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:22am
post #1 of 4

Ok, I am going to attempt the sour cream wedding cake recipe tomorrow in an effort to make a scrub style sheet cake for a friend graduating nursing school this weekend. I bought an 18" x 12" x 2" pan. I plan on using one cake for the body and making the shoulders out of another cake...The recipe says it is for one cake that size. For the body, Should I make two and fill the middle (will that be too fat as i am covering with fondant) or should I make one and try and cut it in half and fill?? I don't have any special cutter. Should I put in half batter and make two batches out of one recipe or try and cut it with a serrated knife? Or just double the recipe and do two layers? Sorry so lengthy! Thanks for any help!!!! icon_smile.gif hope it's not too confusing!

3 replies
Kiwiheather Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:35am
post #3 of 4
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:38am
post #4 of 4

The Wilton chart calls for 14 cups of batter for one 2" tall layer. That would be not quite 3 box mixes. If you are extending a box mix, then you might need to do two amounts.

If you don't have a leveler or extra long knife, then baking it in two parts may be the good way to go. the concern would be doming. I've been using the technique of pressing down on the layer with a dishcloth right out of the oven to compress the dome with good success.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%