Long Weekend

Decorating By mommy1st Updated 3 May 2011 , 3:13am by thebrat68

mommy1st Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:43am
post #1 of 2

I work in a grocery store bakery. I have to tell you about a customer that came in this past Sunday. Walked into 27 cake orders. The second order was for a 10" with primary flowers. The customer left special instructions to be as artistic as I wanted. Use the cake as a blank canvas. I tried to make the cake as nice as possible, mind you I was only scheduled 6 hrs. I did a little scroll work on the sides of the cake, and roses on top. When she came in to pick it up, her comment was " oh, I thought it would look, well you know...l did tell them to let her be creative. Guess it will do." It was all I could to do not to walk out and explain that #1, she did order it in a grocery store. #2, If she wanted over the top fancy, she would have been better off going to a real bakery. I do try and make each cake as nice as possible, but when all we are told is to do as much as possible, in as little time as possible. They keep cutting hrs, but keep expecting more. I love what I do, but when pushed to do so much in as little time as possible, it is hard to be as creative as I would really like to be. I was good and bite my tongue and kept quiet.

1 reply
thebrat68 Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:13am
post #2 of 2

Sooooo true. I get from my manager that it is very nice that I want to be creative and make nice cakes but if you could just slap some balloons and roses on them so I can help out in other areas the person bagging bread today could really use a hand... grrrrr I just want to scream!!! Or the do you have a kit of this TV show or movie... No, but if you tell me what your child likes and their favorite colors we can come up with a more personalized cake... well I don't know... he/she likes this movie/show and/or this video game....grrrrr
I know that I am limited to what I can do with buttercream or bettercream in a tub but I do try to always look for new ideas and new things that I can put on my cakes.... even a grocery store cake should be done with some pride. I spend my off time either on line looking for new ideas or spending my own money ordering books to learn new things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%