First Wedding Cake

Decorating By lorimarie Updated 18 May 2011 , 1:26pm by lorimarie

lorimarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorimarie Posted 3 May 2011 , 1:58am
post #1 of 7

Please help...trying to do my first wedding cake in 6 weeks, and scared to death! Never made a cake this large, with 16" 12" 8" rounds. Do cake shops normally carry a round 16"? She wants it on a pedestal. Do I just make the cake on a board and then set it on the pedestal once I arrive? Do I glue it down using icing? The top tier is also going to be on a pedestal cake stand. Do I just set a separator plate using dowel supports and then glue the pedestal w/icing? Won't that ruin the second tier once they remove it to cut? Thanks in advance-any suggestions are appreciated!

6 replies
lorimarie Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:29am
post #2 of 7

OOOH! Also!! Which is the best icing to use for outdoor wedding- she wants a fluffy spatula marked whipped look. Thanks!!!!

lorimarie Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:00am
post #3 of 7

Ok, anybody out there with a lil help for a new kid? My sisters wedding is coming up quick!! I found my cake shop does have the boards in the size I need, but still wondering about the whole pedestal situation. I was thinking of making a practice cake but yikes thats alot of cake and all out of pocket... I have made plenty of stacked cakes, just this is larger than I ever made and I never used a pedestal. Thanks!!

KerrieD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KerrieD Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:20am
post #4 of 7

Make sure the 16" fits in your oven and use flower nails/heating core.

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:23am
post #5 of 7

How hot is it going to be? If its pretty warm then an icing with shortening is the best. I am not positive about the pedestal. Keep researching though you will figure it out or hopefully someone on here will help you. Good luck!!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 May 2011 , 3:25am
post #6 of 7

I personally won't put a 16" diameter cake on a pedestal. I've had brides ask, and I've refused. It's just top heavy. Coupled with a outside wedding where the cake table might not be on a level surface. no way.

lorimarie Posted 18 May 2011 , 1:26pm
post #7 of 7

What if she just uses a pedestal for the top tier is that more safe? Its Southern Calif and middle of June so could be real warm. There will be a fridge out there she can keep it in until right before the wedding...Thanks sooo much for the replies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%