How To Place Long Strands Of Fondant On Sides ?

Decorating By sweetnessx3 Updated 4 May 2011 , 2:01am by sugarshack

sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 3 May 2011 , 1:42am
post #1 of 17

Is there an easy way to place long stands of fondant up the side of a cake ( vines) without them looking jittery or nervous lol or even breaking ? I am attaching a cake from here thats absolutely stunning . Im doing something similar this weekend ...going to try anyway . Hope the picture attaches .

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1945527

Thanks , Lisa

16 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:07am
post #2 of 17

I would suggest practicing first if you are unsure...because with black fondant on white cake, as soon as you get the dampened piece of black sticking to the white, there's no going back!

Basically its hard to explain but you are going to be using both hands, one holding the fondant rope (use an extruder) and one guiding it onto the cake. You will probably want to "paint" water onto the cake into the line where you want it to go, and then just hold the rope with your left hand and gently guide it into place with your right...just pressing it against where you "painted" with a finger.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:10am
post #3 of 17

If you are using black (like the photo), I think I would just attach using a little piping get. Pipe a light line of gel on the cake, if you like the looks of the layout with the piping get, attach the fondant strip right over top. Don't moisten your strip with water, as the water may make the black bleed onto the cake. This is just what I would do, but I am an amateur at this, so maybe someone more experienced has a better idea. I just saw that no one had comment yet, and I stuck my 2 cents out there.

sweetnessx3 Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:14am
post #4 of 17

Oh my icon_eek.gif lol!!! I just bought my extruder last week still in the wrapper !

I better get to practicing .... I have had some issues with black butter cream on white buttercream ... that was horrible down here in Ga with 90% humidity icon_sad.gif !

Thank you Kitagrl ! I hadnt even thought about using the extruder icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:17am
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

If you are using black (like the photo), I think I would just attach using a little piping get. Pipe a light line of gel on the cake, if you like the looks of the layout with the piping get, attach the fondant strip right over top. Don't moisten your strip with water, as the water may make the black bleed onto the cake. This is just what I would do, but I am an amateur at this, so maybe someone more experienced has a better idea. I just saw that no one had comment yet, and I stuck my 2 cents out there.

Honestly, the piping gel can make the black fondant bleed too...not really bleed so much as leave a gooey grey area....I would not pipe a line, but just use a paintbrush with either the piping gel or the water...you won't need too much, and the more you have, the more likely you will have problems with the black getting gooey on the white. "Just a little dab'll do ya." haha.

sweetnessx3 Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:58am
post #6 of 17

Ok icon_smile.gif Im going to practice tomorrow and see what a mess I can make with my extruder :-/ Im kind of worried or scared to try it lol I may not be able to squeeze the fondant out , lol Ill let you guys know how it goes .

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:12am
post #7 of 17

Knead a little shortening into your fondant until it is soft enough to go through the extruder. Also microwaving it in short bursts at 50% or less power to warm it up a little. Either of those options will make it softer and easier to go through the extruder. Good Luck!

Linda2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda2010 Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:24am
post #8 of 17

I would start from the top and work my way down. I use a glue that I made mixing a lillte bit of fondant and water with tylose and put everything in the microwave oven for few seconds. Stit and voila! It worked wonderful

Linda2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linda2010 Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:28am
post #9 of 17

ups! I mean stir the mixture

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 3 May 2011 , 11:23pm
post #10 of 17

use shortening as your glue and u do not have to worry about smears and bleeding. you have time to move and adjust the pieces with no mess!

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 3 May 2011 , 11:28pm
post #11 of 17

For anyone who doesn't believe Sharon I tried her shortening trick (from her book DVD) for my competition cake this past weekend and it worked amazingly well. I had gold letters and I didn't want to use anything gooey. The letters stayed in place all weekend after several moves from home to car to show and back. Sharon, I never could have done my competition piece without all your videos....and yes I know I'm a groupie but it's true!

sugarshack Posted 3 May 2011 , 11:37pm
post #12 of 17

Thank you Silly. You are a wonderful and loyal customer, and very much appreciated.

Shortening is the best glue!! so easy!!

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:20am
post #13 of 17

sugarshack, Is the shortening good for any pieces that you want to put on fandant or just dainty things, And does the shortenning dry enough, or does it stay moist,( I so want to get you`r DVD`s, working on it)

jerseygirlNga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jerseygirlNga Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:49am
post #14 of 17

Here is a trick I was taught... Dress Pins! I purchased a pack, sterilized and use for cake only. Every so often, I will stand them in a shot glass with vodka and let them air dry.

Pin your layout. The dress pins are long and I place my trim strand up against the pin. Allow to dry a bit and remove. You will not see the holes unless you know there are there and look for them.

sugarshack Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:12am
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

sugarshack, Is the shortening good for any pieces that you want to put on fandant or just dainty things, And does the shortenning dry enough, or does it stay moist,( I so want to get you`r DVD`s, working on it)

Itis good for anything you would use water or piping gel for, not super heavy things like a huge honkin flower. It eventually dries to a firm, non movebale bond....

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:24am
post #16 of 17

Thanks, Sugar, I`ll have to remember that, Cuz when working with black you have to be so carefull.

sugarshack Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:01am
post #17 of 17

try it, you will love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%