What Is This Technique, Please

Decorating By airedalian Updated 3 May 2011 , 3:24pm by nanefy

airedalian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airedalian Posted 3 May 2011 , 1:18am
post #1 of 6

I'd like to outline some cookies using the glitter effect on this Mardi Gras mask from Ali Bees Bake Shop (gorgeous stuff)! Is the glittery (sugar?) incorporated into the piping or sprinkled on after?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZAf2A5jz630/TXZGW9CEpRI/AAAAAAAAA0M/GHsbLw5elDU/s1600/MardiGras2011.JPG

I'm doing scout patches and this seems the most straightforward way to resemble the thread the edges of the patches have, but I'm open to other suggestions, as well. This is hardly a critical audience, so a good group on whom to practice new-to-me techniques and products!

Any input would be greatly appreciated

5 replies
lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 May 2011 , 1:28am
post #2 of 6

That's just sanding sugar and you would sprinkle it on right after you pipe the lines. What I would do is decorate your cookies and when they are dry, pipe an outline and add your sanding sugar.

airedalian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
airedalian Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:04am
post #3 of 6

Thank you very much! I figured it would be something I'd end up making a huge mess with! But ultimately simpler than any other solution I was considering.

How long will the outline stay wet enough to sprinkle? Or, more accurately, can I pipe several in a row then sprinkle them all, or is more like pipe / sprinkle / next / pipe / sprinkle / next?

Thanks!

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:25am
post #4 of 6

those cookies are amazing!!
good luck with your project would love to see your final project

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 May 2011 , 2:34am
post #5 of 6

If you are quick you could do a couple and then sand them... it all depends on how fast you are. You have to sand them before the royal gets a crust on it or it won't work.

icon_biggrin.gif

nanefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanefy Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 6

Wow those cookies are amazing!!! I would agree, just do every other part of the cookie first and let it dry completely and then as a final step, pipe the parts that need the sanding sugar and as soon as they are piped sprinkle straight away with the sanding sugar.

I've never really been interested in doing cookies but looking at these, I'm desperate to have a go!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%