What Would You Charge For These Cakes? Am I Under-Charging??

Decorating By sarahmay Updated 6 May 2011 , 6:44pm by kristiemarie

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 4 May 2011 , 12:53am
post #61 of 79

Laws and rules are part of any game....

My dummy (sorry, he is....) nephew says, "What does it cost to go to college?" And I start with, "SAT scores, admission fees, and darn it--- a GED kiddo!" Even before we discuss tuition (his ORIGINAL question, mind you), books, and room and board.

This one, was handled the same way. Selling a cake, or charging for a cake is a business and letting people know there are applicable rules is a fair and generous reply. I thought the posts were VERY polite, and OP reacted with, "Shoot the messenger!!!". Sorry she lost her job, sorry she is struggling.... but so are LOTS of other folks. Doesn't mean rules don't apply.

I REALLY thought original posts were very nice, "heads up." Well stated!

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:02am
post #62 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot

I could have sworn this was in the business section, but it might have been another post I was looking at and I crossed the two.

It probably was originally posted in the business forum...I have noticed a lot of posts getting moved from the business forum to this forum. Most of them are regarding pricing or some other issue that is specifically related to business, so I really don't get why they are being moved. It just creates confusion.

This is simply another case of someone getting all offended and crying "Meanie Face" when someone tries to helpfully tell them something that they don't want to hear. icon_rolleyes.gif There was nothing whatsoever not "tactful" in how the legal info was given. The only tactless comments I saw were the OP's.

Bettyviolet101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettyviolet101 Posted 4 May 2011 , 1:14am
post #63 of 79

So CC is where I learned it was illegal to have a home bakery with out a seperate kitchen. icon_sad.gif It was a very very sad day indeed but i am glad I learned it. I honeslty don't think I would get caught but I am not insterested in doing something that is obviously illegal. I guess it did kind of "squash my dream" lol but I also realized there will come a day that I can and will have a bakery somehow legally. I don't think it was wrong to give the advice because maybe the OP could have gotten seriously busted and had a fat fine to deal with which would be horrible because then the poor thing would lose money and have no bakery!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:57am
post #64 of 79

People don't want correct information, they want someone to tell them that it's cool to do whatever they want to do anyway. I was going to write some other comments but I'll refrain.

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:28am
post #65 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

People don't want correct information, they want someone to tell them that it's cool to do whatever they want to do anyway. I was going to write some other comments but I'll refrain.

I admire your restraint! icon_wink.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:41am
post #66 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMaster2009

Quote:

Every now and then I manage to find some icon_rolleyes.gif

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:02pm
post #67 of 79
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMaster2009

Quote:

Every now and then I manage to find some icon_rolleyes.gif

Thumbs up!

DaniNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaniNicole Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:24pm
post #68 of 79

I, too, thought the OP did over react. I am a hobby baker, and have been thinking about really delving into the cake business so I found the info very helpful because while I knew there had to be some regulations around it, I didn't know what. I can understand what she is saying but honestly, nothing that was said was mean or said in an attacking way. IMPO, anyway...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:29pm
post #69 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by carouselcreations

... it would have been more simple to state where to find the legal stuff in the forums and how you yourself come up with a pricing system that works for you (supplies, time, fees, utilities,etc.) She simply asked how much you would charge...

Being that I am in in the US and she is in Canada I couldn't direct her to a specific site to get the information, which is why I suggested she do some research. Yes, while CC is great for information, I don't think it should over rid actually looking for information from the state/county/area/country you are in. In the US it varies so much that I wouldn't rely on just what you read on CC, I would check the information out on a local level.

And I DID direct her to a post with pricing information.

To those that said the comments were tactless, offensive and compared us to vultures, I would love to know exactly which of my comments were taken that way.

I felt everything I said was done in a helpful manner. I didn't tell her to stop baking. I didn't even tell her to stop selling cakes, as I even made a comment about doing things just for family and friends. All I did was suggest she look into the laws.

AnotherCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCaker Posted 4 May 2011 , 2:36pm
post #70 of 79

Nothing was offensive. But you get one or two (especially ones with some sort of implied power) playing the whiny card, and it just invites more people to say "Yeah, YEAH! Meanies! You're mean!" And they probably really didn't even read the comments to judge for themselves.

cakeninja82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeninja82 Posted 4 May 2011 , 3:00pm
post #71 of 79

This was not a heated thread at all,I haven't been here that long and I've seen worse.

The OP's question was answered the best it could be.
Sometimes there is no black and white answer to something.

It's like when a customers asks "can you make a cake for me"....well ya I can but....we need a bit more info, a simple yes to that question just won't do, and simple charge X amount won't do here either.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:12pm
post #72 of 79

I love Spock. Vulcans Rock!
Not relevant you say? Yes it is. You could tell Spock he couldn't do that and he would go through the information, logically understand the entirety and thank you for the warning.

Why does nearly every person that didn't know about their local laws being an issue have a freak out and shoot the messenger? What does that solve or prove?

It's like the person in the 20 item or less line with a full cart and when the clerk or someone else in line mentions it they throw a hissy fit.

I will never understand that.

LadyG33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyG33 Posted 4 May 2011 , 4:23pm
post #73 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

I love Spock. Vulcans Rock!
Not relevant you say? Yes it is. You could tell Spock he couldn't do that and he would go through the information, logically understand the entirety and thank you for the warning.

Why does nearly every person that didn't know about their local laws being an issue have a freak out and shoot the messenger? What does that solve or prove?

It's like the person in the 20 item or less line with a full cart and when the clerk or someone else in line mentions it they throw a hissy fit.

I will never understand that.

Couldnt have said it better!

cakeninja82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeninja82 Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:40pm
post #74 of 79

Because the person in the 20 items or less lane with a full cart is special, they are important and they don't have the time to wait in the normal line with the commoners.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:50pm
post #75 of 79

Threads such as these are immensely helpful to those of us that are hobby bakers looking at our options. I had no idea what the laws were in my state and after doing some research and making some phone calls I have a recorded response from my health department stating that I can in fact sell cakes from home as long as I provide them with the list of ingredients and the disclaimer about not being licensed or inspected. Had I not read threads on here where these issues were discussed I might have decided to sell cakes from home and gotten into trouble about it but knowing what everyone shared I was able to take the appropriate steps in my area to make sure I am legal. I was fortunate in that my state has laws that allow it and my health department interprets them in a way that allows me to sell from home but had that not been the case I would have continued making only for friends and family for free. I appreciated all the support and guidance I received from those on the board. Thanks

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 5 May 2011 , 5:01pm
post #76 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylibra

Threads such as these are immensely helpful to those of us that are hobby bakers looking at our options. I had no idea what the laws were in my state and after doing some research and making some phone calls I have a recorded response from my health department stating that I can in fact sell cakes from home as long as I provide them with the list of ingredients and the disclaimer about not being licensed or inspected. Had I not read threads on here where these issues were discussed I might have decided to sell cakes from home and gotten into trouble about it but knowing what everyone shared I was able to take the appropriate steps in my area to make sure I am legal. I was fortunate in that my state has laws that allow it and my health department interprets them in a way that allows me to sell from home but had that not been the case I would have continued making only for friends and family for free. I appreciated all the support and guidance I received from those on the board. Thanks

I agree icon_smile.gif

My Wilton instructor told us all it was legal, go ahead and start charging. She gave us all her business cards and told us how to set up a website, etc. icon_eek.gif

Unfortunately, it's ILLEGAL here, but I wouldn't have known that if I didn't do my own research and be open to hearing the bad news. Yeah, it stinks, but I'm not going to sell illegally.

So, thank you for all the truthful info, even when it's not what we want to hear. thumbs_up.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 6 May 2011 , 7:02am
post #77 of 79

That is NOT part of Wilton procedure or class materials covered. Nor is it light conversation. You should call Wilton and let them know about that. What a lot of bad information, that could lead to someone really getting in trouble over a cake. People shouldn't be put in that terrible position. Wow she's an idiot major!

You don't need car insurance or to pay your light bill either.... yeah right.
People never believe what someone tells you. Always look it up for yourself. Because that idiot won't be responsible for it, but you would be. I hope none of her students get into trouble and I hope they find out the correct info somewhere.

susie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susie1 Posted 6 May 2011 , 4:36pm
post #78 of 79

jason_kraft, You gave me advice on page 3 of this thread on how $3.50/serving is a decent price for a cake. (I don't know how to bring up the white box with what you wrote) Anyway, I'd like to thank you for that advice. I really hadn't thought of it that way.

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 6 May 2011 , 6:44pm
post #79 of 79

Pricing advice = business advice = legalities

Period. End of story.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%