Can This Be Done...

Decorating By stewy Updated 3 May 2011 , 3:19am by stewy

stewy Posted 2 May 2011 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 4

i am seeing lots of fondant covered cakes with beautiful giant flowers on the sides. most of the people i decorate for only want cakes iced in buttercream. can large flowers or bows be 'adhered' or 'pinned' to a buttercream iced cake. this picture is a cake i have on request but not sure if i can do it?

3 replies
Alfiesmom Posted 2 May 2011 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 4

most definitely. I think there are far more buttercream cakes with flowers and ribbons. if your ribbons or flowers or decorations are made of fondant or gumpaste (or combo) they just stick to buttercream. you can dab some water on back of what you want attached. there's a whole thread in these forums on attaching real ribbon. basically you add a wax paper backing before adhering to cake.
you should have your buttercream as smooth as possible (there's plenty of techniques for doing that) and you should be good to go.

Unlimited Posted 2 May 2011 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 4

Sure you can do it!

If you're worried that the fondant ruffles will be too heavy, you can pipe the ruffles with buttercream.

If you're worried that the fondant bow will be too heavy, you can skewer it to the cake.

Good luck!

stewy Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:19am
post #4 of 4

thank you both sooooooo very much! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%