Baskin Robbins Fudge Log - What Am I Doing Wrong!!?

Lounge By MissMelissia Updated 3 May 2011 , 9:14pm by MissMelissia

MissMelissia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMelissia Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 5

This is a question specific to my fellow Baskin Robbins decorators. I am new to dealing with ice cream cakes and don't have anywhere else to turn to for advice. I can not seem to get the fudge to cover the roll cakes!

I know the cakes should be frozen and the fudge should be room temp. I know I should not lift my spatula off the cake. For the first three seconds, the fudge spreads fine, then it just rips off the cake. At that point, I realize that working with it anymore will make things worse but the cake is not completely covered, let alone attractively.

Please save me from being a frustrated voice in the back room shouting FUDGE! icon_sad.gif

4 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:41pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not an employee, but it sounds to me like the coldness of the cake is thickening the fudge making it too thick to spread and thus it tears the cake instead.

dianne65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianne65 Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 5

When I worked there, I used to put just a splash of milk in the fudge so it wasn't so thick, it was more frosting like

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 2 May 2011 , 9:52pm
post #4 of 5

The fudge can be warmer than room temp. Try it with your fudge bowl placed in hot/warm water.

Along with not lifting your spatula, it's important that you aren't really trying to spread the fudge but rather push it. You need to start with a lot, push it along until all surfaces are covered, and wipe off the excess. Spreading sounds like what would be done when you don't have enough product and are trying to spread it out to make it go farther. Don't use it sparingly or it will rip the cake. HTH.

MissMelissia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMelissia Posted 3 May 2011 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 5

icon_biggrin.gif You guys rock!! Thank you so much for the advice, I can't wait to try them!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%