False Tiers

Decorating By Cookingkimber Updated 2 May 2011 , 6:28pm by TexasSugar

Cookingkimber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookingkimber Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 6

I am doing a cake for a family member who is getting married and they really don't have any ideas as far as what they want besides they would love for it to be big and the bride likes round and the groom likes hexagon, but they are fine with either.

After looking at several pictures I have picked mout a cake that has it all. It is a 7 tier cake with alternating round and hexagon cakes. I realize this a alot of cake and way more than they need so I was going to do false tiers with cake dummies but I can't figure out what sizes I need to acheive this 7 tier cake and what tiers should be false. I was thinking maybe doing every other tier (the hexagone tiers) cake dummies. Will this work...ang suggestions.

I have done 1 otherr cake with false tiers but I made the bottom two tiers fake and I think this was a mistake because the it was super top heavy.

any thoughts?

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:27pm
post #2 of 6

I would start with the bottom tier being a dummy and every other tier be real cake.
Is there any way to do a similar design cutting out a couple of tiers and still have a nice, tall cake? Even doing every other one real, it still will be a lot of cake.

jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 6

im curious as to what people think at well, I also have a 7 tier cake that im making in june and i was going to do false tiers... i was worried about it being top heavy so i was going to do 4 real tiers on bottom and 3 foam on top so all the weight would be on the bottom...id love to hear from someone with experience with taller cakes which is easier

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 6

How many servings do you need?

jleigh982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jleigh982 Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 6

mine is 120 and they want round tiers...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 6

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

According to this chart a 14" and 12" will give you 134 servings, so you can do that, and do the rest of the tiers dummy cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%