Desperately Seeking....

Decorating By sweetisome Updated 2 May 2011 , 6:40pm by Karen421

sweetisome Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 12

I need some fondant cutters for letters. I've seen many tidy letter cu out on cakes, but when I try to find the cutters themselves...I haveno luck. Any advice?? Thanks in advance!

11 replies
Cakechick123 Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 12

there are several available. I know Ateco make a metal set, then Jem also have a set for upper and lower cases. the ones I like best is called tappits. They have several sets in different fonts. Im sure if you google tappits you will find somewhere to buy.

Alternatively I have also used alphabet cookie cutters, but they tend to be too big for my liking.

sillywabbitz Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 12

I love my tappits, especially now that I know how to use themicon_smile.gif
You need to make sure you fondant or gumpaste is very thin. I prefer to cut them out on corn starch so they don't stick to the mat but other people prefer them on shortening covered mat so they stay down.
You have to play with them to figure out what works for you. I also place saran wrap over the fondant when doing the funky ones. The script ones worked fine for me but my fondant had a LOT of tylose in it and was pretty dry when I cut out the letters.

This cake uses the Funky Tappits Letters
And this cake uses the Upper Case Script letters

The script letters are a smaller physical letter than my funky letters so I really like having both. I am considering purchasing the lower case script letters as well but don't have a cake to need them on just yeticon_smile.gif

I can not write on cakes to save my life so I do everything with letter cutters.

cowie Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 12

I was like you and found some tappits. They aren't cheap and can be a pain to work with if the letters are small but if you are patient you will get a great look. icon_smile.gif

lilmissbakesalot Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 12

I love Tappits too and they never give me a hard time. Gumpaste works the best IMHO, but fondant is more than fine. They take some getting used to, but they give great results.

cowie Posted 2 May 2011 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 12

The first time I used tappits I used fondant that was very soft and even with dusting them with cornstarch/icing sugar they kept sticking. After having to re-do a few letters I found that if I let the fondant dry for a little then they came out perfectly. I cant' wait to buy another font set.

sweetisome Posted 2 May 2011 , 4:47pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks !!!!

Karen421 Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:12pm
post #9 of 12

I also like the Windsor Clikstix - groovy I think. icon_biggrin.gif

cowie Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 12

Never heard of Windsor Clikstix but they sound neat! Thanks for the post.

cowie Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:30pm
post #11 of 12

I just found this online

They look so much easier to use!

Karen421 Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 12

Yup that's them thumbs_up.gif and they are very easy to use! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%