Poor Cake....

Decorating By Relznik Updated 9 May 2011 , 8:54am by shaekae81

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 18

This is going to be one of those cakes that I hate from beginning to end and can't wait to see the back of. Poor cake, it's not it's fault. But it will sense that I don't love it. And it won't 'behave' and everything will go from bad to worse. I can tell.

But this one is doing my head in already. I marzipanned it last night and at first, it wouldn't hold its shape properly. It kept sinking down and looking squat. It looks a bit 'shlumpy'. That's a made up word, in case you hadn't guessed. It means it's shlumping down into itself. There, that clarified it for you, didn't it? LOL!!

And now I"m wasting time on here because I"m avoiding decorating it.

Poor cake. It's not its fault. But I don't love it. I don't even like it... and it can tell!! x x

17 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 18

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I think we all have days like that icon_smile.gif

hopefully when the shlumpy cake gets its final coat you will like it more.

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:06pm
post #3 of 18

I think schlumpy should be added to the CC dictionary icon_lol.gif

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 5 May 2011 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasan

I think schlumpy should be added to the CC dictionary icon_lol.gif

LOL! Most definitely. icon_biggrin.gif

Relznik Posted 5 May 2011 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 18

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 May 2011 , 7:19pm
post #6 of 18

Sounds like postcaktum depression. You just need to bond with the cake. Love it, and don't punish yourself. You'll feel better soon! thumbs_up.gif

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 5 May 2011 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 18

I've had several cakes that I didn't feel the love for, they knew it too but insisted on winning me over by making me satisfied with the finished product.
Maybe yours will too.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:21pm
post #8 of 18

You need to make peace with your schlump. Stare it in its beady little sugar pearls and let it know that you are going to level it, not the other way 'round.

Relznik Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 18

WELL....

In the end, I didn't hate it.

I didn't love it, but we made our peace.

It wasn't that, when finished, the cake looked bad. It looked fine. I just could not get myself 'in the zone' for this cake. I think I had so many other things on my mind?

The main thing is the customer loved it. So that's all that matters, really.

I'll upload a picture of it now - it's the LV bag.

Suzanne x

Emmar308 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emmar308 Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 18

Sorry to hear about your schlumpy cake, Relznik! Hope it turns out ok! I checked out your cake gallery and you have some really great cakes - i'm curious do you cover sponge cakes in marzipan then sugarpaste? How does this taste? I always use buttercream and sugarpaste with sponge, and marzipan and sugarpaste with fruit cake.

Relznik Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 18

Yes, I always marzipan my sponge cakes.

I use a good quality marzipan - not supermarket. So the taste is a bit nicer. And it gives a much nicer finish. I hate it when the customer specifically asks me not to marzipan!

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 18

schlump is actually a yiddish (jewish) word that means sloppily or poorly dressed. Your cake looks great - not schlumpy at all! A well-done coat of fondant covers the hidden flaws of many cakes (I know it has some of mine!).

Relznik Posted 5 May 2011 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider

schlump is actually a yiddish (jewish) word that means sloppily or poorly dressed. Your cake looks great - not schlumpy at all! A well-done coat of fondant covers the hidden flaws of many cakes (I know it has some of mine!).

And I thought I'd made it up!!! LOL! I don't actually speak Yiddish... I know maybe a dozen or so words... but I love how so many Yiddish words sounds like what they're describing.

Yes, a good coat of fondant can hide many faults... and even more so if you marzipan first! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

shaekae81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaekae81 Posted 5 May 2011 , 9:06pm
post #14 of 18

I feel your pain with the cake....but you also might want to try a German translation of you newly found word....lol It's not very nice! hahaha icon_smile.gif

Mamasan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamasan Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:01pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormrider

And I thought I'd made it up!!! LOL! I don't actually speak Yiddish... I know maybe a dozen or so words... but I love how so many Yiddish words sounds like what they're describing.

Yes, a good coat of fondant can hide many faults... and even more so if you marzipan first! icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

Still funny and I'm still voting for it to be added to CC dictionary icon_lol.gif BTW - I think your cake turned out beautiful! I know what you mean when you say you're not "feeling" it though.

Relznik Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:08pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaekae81

I feel your pain with the cake....but you also might want to try a German translation of you newly found word....lol It's not very nice! hahaha icon_smile.gif

Well I've tried the on-line translators, and it's not recognising the word... I'm intrigued now!! icon_rolleyes.gif

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 6 May 2011 , 3:49pm
post #17 of 18

I'm a German translator and wasn't aware of the word but looked at my favorite online dictionary (www.dict.cc) and found a variation of it: Schlumpe. Not common at all, the more common version would have an "a" in the middle of it. But put an "f" at the end of it and you get Schlumpf or Smurf icon_wink.gif

Jenny

shaekae81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaekae81 Posted 9 May 2011 , 8:54am
post #18 of 18

Well, yeah, the exact spelling is not the same...but it's pronounced the same...it means "b*tch" or "sl*t" and is VERY derogatory.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%