Cream Cheese Frosting Expiration

Decorating By blissfulbaker Updated 6 May 2011 , 9:31am by hellie0h

blissfulbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfulbaker Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 6

If the expiration on the cream cheese is July 2011 and the expiration on the butter is September 2011, shouldn't the frosting last longer than the 3 or 4 days lie most recipes say to use by? How long does cream cheese frosting last?

5 replies
blissfulbaker Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 6

Does anyone know how long cream cheese frosting is really good for? It seems to me if the cream cheese and butter don't expire for months, then the frosting should last longer than 3 or 4 days if kept in the fridge??? Don't ya think???

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2011 , 7:05pm
post #3 of 6

Not really. To me once things are opened and mixed together it changes the dates.

A raw egg has a long shelf life. But I wouldn't cook one, stick it in the fridge and eat it two weeks later.

A never opened package of cream cheese will last longer than an opened one.

blissfulbaker Posted 2 May 2011 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 6

Those are good points TexasSugar, but it still seems it should last longer than 3 or 4 days if kept in the fridge. I am asking because I made some 2 weeks ago, forgot to put it in the freezer and it looks, smells and tastes fine. Maybe, I'll let my teenage boys eat it and sees what happens to them!!!! I certainly don't want to try it out on anyone else.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2011 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 6

Two weeks is pushing it, it for me. Under a week and probably. But I'm weird when it comes to anything with dairy in it.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 6 May 2011 , 9:31am
post #6 of 6

I believe and practice what my Dad always taught me, when in doubt...throw it out! Why chance making yourself sick. I can't imagine eating any prepared item that has been in the fridge for 2 weeks, but that is me. Like Texas said, exp. date does not apply once opened.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%