Staking Help - Wooden Or Plastic Dowels? And How Many?

Decorating By jess605 Updated 5 May 2011 , 3:10am by yummy_in_my_tummy

jess605 Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making a two tier (10inch bottom, 6inch top) cake. I'll be frosting with buttercream and the cake will have fondant accents. I'll be delivering this cake - about a 20min drive.

How many dowls do I need in the 10in base cake to support the 6in top and where exactly should they be placed (how far apart, how far from edge of 6in, etc).

Is it better (more sturdy) to use wooden dowels or the hard plastic dowels that look like really big straws?

Any thoughts on pros and cons regarding stacking at home vs. stacking at the location?

Finally, do I need a center dowel (I'm guessing no for just two tiers).

Thank you icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Kristie925 Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 7

For a 2 tier cake, I don't use a center dowel. I use wooden dowels sometimes and the bubble tea straws sometimes. Just depends on my mood I guess! The wooden dowels make me feel more comfortable for some reason, but they're a pain to cut.
Under a 6 inch cake, I use one in the center and 3 in a triangle shape a little further out. I put my dowels pretty close to the outer edge of the cake they're supporting. I recently delivered a cake the same sizes as the one you're doing, and I used bubble tea straws and delivered it assembled.

kakeladi Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:48pm
post #3 of 7

......How many dowls ....need in the 10in base cake...where exactly should they be placed (how far apart, how far from edge of 6in, etc).... better (more sturdy) to use wooden dowels or the hard plastic dowels that look like really big straws? ........

There is very little weight in a 6" tier. I have delivered 1000s of cakes that size and use ONLY 3 plastic drink straws for support icon_smile.gif
Using a cakeboard or plate the size of the cake (6") mark where the cake will go. Place your straws in a triangle shape 1" in from the edge of the 6" circle. That's all that's neededicon_smile.gif
IMHO using wooden dowels will leave an off taste in the area when they are inserted. Using the hard plastic dowels will displace at least2 or 3 servings of cake icon_sad.gif Neither is a good option. Go to McD, BK, or some other fast food place that has nice, fat straws and ask if you can buy a handful. I have found they have always said I could just take them icon_smile.gif If you are a regular customer to one of these places, take one home each time to build up a stock to keep on hand at home.

Sassy74 Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 7

For a 10/6, I usually use 4 placed in a square pattern under the 6. I'd use a center dowel if the cake has to move. Also, I don't recommend wooden dowels, but bubble tea straws instead. Dowels displace cake and the straws don't. Also, the straws are much easier to cut. Hope it comes out great!

jess605 Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 7

THank for the responses. What are bubble tea straws? ARe they hard? Where do I get them?

Sassy74 Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:51am
post #6 of 7

Bubble tea straws are large diameter straws. Much larger than regular drinking straws. You can also use what's called "milkshake" straws. I found packs of them at Bed, Bath & Beyond for just a few bucks. You can also order them on ebay. Very inexpensive. You could google them for a close look.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:10am
post #7 of 7

I also use the bubble straws if I'm stacking two tiers (wood dowels if I'm stacking more than 2). I always grab extra straws at McDonalds and keep them in a bag!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%