Freezing Cake In The Box

Decorating By VanillaCoke Updated 2 May 2011 , 9:02pm by VanillaCoke

VanillaCoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VanillaCoke Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 6

I have a huge order for Thursday- 39 6" cake centerpieces. I have the cakes all done and frozen. I've started crumb coating, half are done and sitting on the counter. The other half are still frozen. I'd like to finish icing them all today and re freeze them until Thursday. They are all smooth iced, so I don't want to wrap them and freeze them and botch the icing- I was thinking I'd put them in their boxes and wrap the outside of the box in plastic to keep them nice and air tight until Thursday, and not in danger of getting the icing messed up. Does that work? Anyone do this? I can't think of another way to do it, other than icing them all on Wednesday, which I'd rather not do (busy day for me). I've never done this (I almost never freeze anything, I'm not very experienced in freezer dynamics!). Any suggestions?

5 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 6

We've frozen cakes in the box before (double wrapped in plastic), never had a problem.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 6

.........They are all smooth iced,....in their boxes and wrap the outside of the box in plastic...Does that work? Anyone do this?.........

Been there, done that *MANY* times. Just pop those boxes in plastic bags and fz. They will be just fine.

VanillaCoke Posted 2 May 2011 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 6

Great, THANKS! Changes to my routine make me nervous. I feel like Rain-man...walking around the kitchen in circles. Gotta have the cakes in the box. Gotta have the cakes done one day before. Gotta have 39 cakes in the box one day before...

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2011 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 6

You can freeze it in the box with out any problem. I'm not sure how the freeze, thaw and refreeze would go though.

VanillaCoke Posted 2 May 2011 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 6

hm. I didn't think about that. I know I've done that with cakes for the fam...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%