I've Heard Lots About Ganache So I Have A Few Questions...

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 2 May 2011 , 8:48pm by AENM1

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 May 2011 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 9

Okay..I have a 3D LV purse/bag due next week and I thought I might try chocolate ganache for the first time...I have a few questions so if someone could help answer them I would greatly appreciate it!! icon_smile.gif

1. How do I know how much one recipe makes...I just see people post 2:1..I get that but will it cover a 3D cake which will feed about 25 or should I make 2-3 batches?

2.Do I let the ganache completely harden or use it when it is soft and spreadable?

3.Is it better to whip it after cooled or will it give me a totally different consistency?I basically want it to cover my cake and make it smooth before fondant...I believe the whipped ganache is for filling but I may be wrong... icon_redface.gif

4.Do I use unsweetened chocolate or semi sweet?I use the bakers chocolate in squares so how many would be 1 lb??

sorry about all the questions... icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

Thanks thumbs_up.gif

8 replies
cakeandpartygirl Posted 2 May 2011 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 9

1. I think it depends on what type of chocolate you are using, for example white and milk chocolate you use a 3:1 ratio which will give you more than if you were using semi-sweet or dark which is a 2:1. I would probably make 2 recipes just to make sure you have enough.

2. You don't let the ganache harden you want it the consistency of peanut butter so that you can spread it. You will want it to set after you have applied it to the cake so that your fondant will have a firm base to be applied to.

3. I wouldn't whip it. I just make the ganache set it on the counter or if you want it to thicken faster put it, covered with plastic wrap but make sure it is touching the surface of the ganache, in the refrigerator.

4. This depends on what you or the client wants. Of course the unsweetened is going to be less sweet. For me I would use semi-sweet because I like a little sweetness. When you ask about how much makes a pound each one of the squares are 1 oz. I hope that I will clarify when I make mine I know it's wrong, (I don't have a scale), so I use cups but I use the same ratio so my batch will be less than yours so you may want to re-think about what I said in #1. If you look at the package of the bakers chocolate it tells you how much by weight, icon_smile.gif is in there.

I hope that this clarifies some of your questions

lilmissbakesalot Posted 2 May 2011 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 9

Definitely don't use unsweetened chocolate. That is not tasty in any way and it will ruin the flavor of your cake. Bittersweet is the darkest I'd go, but I usually use semi-sweet (about 60% cacao).

How much a recipe makes is not really relevant... just keep the ratio 2:1 (you can go as far as 1.5:1 with bittersweet chocolate) and you can make as much as you need. I always err on the side of too much vs. having to make more in the middle of icing your cake.

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 May 2011 , 12:54pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks Cakeandpartygirl and lilmissbakesalot....I appreciate your responses!!

TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 9

I was asking this same thing last week because you always see a ratio, but not how much. To me the ratio is just a beginning point, not really the amount. It's just a way to know how much chocolate to cream.

If I am remember correctly, I did 3lbs of chocolate to 1.5lbs of cream. I iced a 10 in two layer cake, (with one layer of the filling being the ganache) and I had right over two cups of ganache left over. I didn't measure before. I will try to measure it from the beginning next time, but I was making two big batches of different chocolates for a cake, and at that point I didn't want to bother with measuring that much of it.

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 9

Thnaks Texassugar..That helps me determine how much it will make.

TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2011 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 9

You are welcome. I'm trying to remember how much of the white chocolate ganache I did for the 6 and 8 cake.

I felt like you did though. Everyone posted ratio's but not really the amounts you get or how much you really need.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-716699-ganache.html+coverage

Here is the post where I asked. I went off of Rylan's numbers and messaged him to see if he could help me break it down between the white and the regular chocolate. icon_smile.gif

AENM1 Posted 2 May 2011 , 8:48pm
post #9 of 9

When I made ganache for a cake it was to drizzle over the top and not as a frosting. However, I would say, knowing how much it made one batch is not enough.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%