How Do I Cover A Sphere In Fondant?!

Decorating By Katherinej51679 Updated 2 May 2011 , 5:59pm by jmr531

Katherinej51679 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katherinej51679 Posted 2 May 2011 , 4:40am
post #1 of 8

I am making my son's birthday cake for Thursday (its Sun night right now) and he wants pacman on top. But not the regular easy pac man...the NEW pac man- sphere shaped, standing up with arms and legs and gloves and boots! I have decided just to use a styrofoam ball but is there a way to cover it in fondant without it getting all wrinkled at the bottom? (bc the bottom will be seen)....thanks for any info!

7 replies
jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:02am
post #2 of 8

This is just an idea because I have not seen the new pac man, but would it be possible to cover the underneath half of the sphere first and only let it set long enough that you know it is not going to go anywhere and flip it back over and do the top half and have them meet in the middle? I guess what I am thinking is that maybe there might be something about them that would allow you to cover up the center part so it would not be obvious? I feel for you. covering that type of thing would not be easy whether styrofoam or cake. Does it have to be covered in fondant? I bet you could do it smoother in BC and use the viva towel to get it really smooth. Just an idea. GOOD LUCK!! icon_smile.gif

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:19am
post #3 of 8

I've seen cake decorators on tv use modeling chocolate to cover spheres the way jules5000 described. One decorator explained that modeling chocolate is better than fondant when covering a sphere because you can smooth the seam away with the chocolate.

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:36am
post #4 of 8

I would definitely go with modeling chocolate. It is so easy to make and use. My only suggestion would be to make a batch that you know is more than big enough to cover it all and tint/color it all together so you won't run out and have varying yellows on it. Plus you can use it to mold arms, legs, etc as well. Good luck!

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:50am
post #5 of 8

Yep, modeling chocolate. It will give you a much better look.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 8

I was just at the MO ICES DOS and we had Eric Woller and Pat Jacoby and they were talking about using modeling cho. Duh. I guess I was more tired than I thougt last night. WOuld love to see a picture of your cake on here when you get it done.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 8

Any chance anyone has ever run across a video showing someone covering a sphere in MC?

jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 8

Anne Heap from Pink Cake Box did it when she was on the Ultimate Cake Off. Maybe there are some clips of the episode online.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%