Art Teacher Retirement Cake Help Please!!

Decorating By Cyancat Updated 13 May 2011 , 11:35pm by Cyancat

Cyancat Posted 1 May 2011 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 7

I've been asked to do a cake for an art teacher that is going to retire after this year. Since he was also my art teacher way back throughout my elementary, middle, and high school days, I want to make a cake that will show to him that I appreciated his teachings and also a part of "Look what I can do as Art!"

I don't want to do a palette or easel, it seems they've been overdone.
Any ideas to help me out? I've researched the web, but there isn't much to see out there.

I just want to make something that will make him and the class go WOW!

6 replies
mickeypanda Posted 1 May 2011 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 7

Some ideas: several layers with each layer representing a famous painting(Starry Night) or artist's style (splatters for Jackson Pollock)

Little gold fondant frames around works of art

Layers representing different media (crayons, painting, ceramics, scissors/glue)

Layers representing child's artistic development (bottom layer could look like fingerpaint or crayon scribbles)

Can you tell I'm married to an art teacher?

SugarFiend Posted 1 May 2011 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 7

Good ideas so far. If you wanted to take it one step further, you could focus on his favorite artist or favorite medium, too.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 1 May 2011 , 11:03pm
post #5 of 7

You could recreate a piece of his work.

You could hand paint directly onto the cake in a style he likes or of a theme he likes (maybe another hobby or his pet, favorite landmark/place, etc.), or your own original work.

Other ideas:

Debi2 Posted 1 May 2011 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 7

When I read this my first thoughts were a Starry Night cake and The Scream. There is a version of Starry night that is painted on fondant if you want to use that instead of buttercream like the one shown in an above link. I also like the Jackson Pollock idea a previous poster mentioned. If you like the idea of the Starry Night cake, there are a bunch here on CC and you can do a search and get lots of ideas. Can't wait to see what you end up doing! Good luck and have fun!

Cyancat Posted 13 May 2011 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you all for your help and ideas!
I really wanted to do something as extravagant as the Starry Night cake but didn't get to.

Yet the cake I made was good enough to please icon_biggrin.gif
Hope that you like it!

No its not icing piped on there. Its fondant! I watered it down a bit to a paste like consistency and dabbed it on! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%