Cake Pops!

Decorating By Cmaysa Updated 8 May 2011 , 11:53am by MimiFix

Cmaysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cmaysa Posted 1 May 2011 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I want to do some cake pops, but here where i live its not easy to find candy melts! What can o use instead? Maybe a runny fondant, like the one you can dip cupcakes would do the trick? Any other suggestions? I have a lot of cake scraps from carved cakes that go to waste and i think cake pops would be a great way to "recycle" them! icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 1 May 2011 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 5

I use Baker's chocolate in either semisweet or white chocolate instead of candy melts.

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 1 May 2011 , 8:14pm
post #3 of 5

I've never tried the liquid fondant, but I have used Chocolate Chips with a couple of tablespoons melted shortening; and they turned out fine.

HTH

Kat

SUNSHINEMOLLY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUNSHINEMOLLY Posted 8 May 2011 , 10:18am
post #4 of 5

I am about to make my first batch this week, I bought my candy melts from spotlight - not sure if you have that store there.
But I also heard Nestle Chocolate melts are similar.

I Would like to know if and why can't you use normal chocolate? As candy melts are not that 'natural'

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 May 2011 , 11:53am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmaysa

Hi everyone! I want to do some cake pops, but here where i live its not easy to find candy melts! What can o use instead? Maybe a runny fondant, like the one you can dip cupcakes would do the trick? Any other suggestions? I have a lot of cake scraps from carved cakes that go to waste and i think cake pops would be a great way to "recycle" them! icon_biggrin.gif

You can make another product called Russian cake (or Russian slice) which is similar to the cake pop mixture. It was created to use cake scraps, stales, and unsold products. It's a popular item in some retail bakeries. Press the mixture into a pan, make more than one layer if you want; ice, decorate and cut. Lots of variations. I put each piece into a (glassine) muffin/candy cup. They looked upscale and therefore sold for more than decorated slices of cake.

Surprised at how many cake pop threads are running right now...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%