Airbrush Color In Buttercream

Baking By mcdonald Updated 2 May 2011 , 2:12am by Kiddiekakes

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone know of any reason why I can't use airbrush color in my buttercream or in royal? I want to use a pink shimmer and I am thinking it should be just fine.. but I had someone at a cake store tell me no... so I was wondering if anyone has done this before?

5 replies
bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 1 May 2011 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 6

Yes...you can use airbrush color in buttercream! Just remember that it will be part of the liquid component of the recipe. That is the only coloring I ever use when I color buttercream. I am not familiar with the pink shimmer you mentioned, but you may not get the same effect [ shine/ glitter ] using it in the buttercream as you would brushing it on, but you will have the color. Then you could add a light airbrushing of the color after you frost to get the shimmer effect without the heavy application.

Ummeiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ummeiko Posted 1 May 2011 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 6

You will generally get a better, richer color from a gel color as airbrush color tends to be thin or watered down. It will also thin your frosting if you use a lot. But you can indeed color buttercream with an airbrush color.

JanetBme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanetBme Posted 2 May 2011 , 12:24am
post #4 of 6

I do it all the time since I don't have any other kind of colors! However, the shimmer really won't show up like you might be expecting. It would take a lot of color to make the shimmer work. I'd probably tint the icing with a color (airbrush colors or whatever) to get the depth of color you want, then add the airbrush shimmer color to it after decorating.. I've done pink shimmer before mixed in and it really didn't have an impact. But if you are doing a small amount of icing, for details, you could certainly add enough of the shimmer color to make it work. But not icing a whole cake.

I prefer to use the airbrush color when you are making blue or blacks. It doesn't have the developing time. Also to get a true black or dk blue with gels, it takes the whole thing. With airbrush colors, it doesn't seem to take as much color.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:55am
post #5 of 6

thanks guys!!! I appreciate the input.. I was hoping for the shimmer to show through so if it isn't going to show up.... I might not try it...

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:12am
post #6 of 6

If you airbrush the cake after you are done with pearl sheen the shiny look will some through.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%