Ganche Under Buttercream?

Decorating By KayMc Updated 1 May 2011 , 4:07am by Crazboutcakes

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 1 May 2011 , 2:00am
post #1 of 4

I am a hobbyist, and don't make a large amount of cakes. I've made the decision that I don't want to cover my cakeswith fondant, as I hate the taste, as do most other people as well. I know the fondant cakes look like heaven, but I do enjoy a beautiful buttercream cake as much as the appearance of a fondant cake.

I know the Aussies use ganache under their fondant, and I'm wondering if I should do the same under buttercream. Is there a reason why I shouldn't do that? thank you.

3 replies
SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 1 May 2011 , 3:18am
post #2 of 4

Seriously? icon_confused.gif

Ummm... Overkill. Because it would be like putting a layer of chocolate buttercream under your vanilla buttercream. Or SMBC under your cream cheese icing. I suppose you COULD do it. Just not sure why you'd want to.

I use ganache under my fondant, and I'm not Australian! icon_wink.gif I look at fondant as a beautiful, versatile, protective layer - not as a second layer of icing. I roll my fondant quite thin and use a full layer of icing, so people can eat the fondant if they want or just peel it off and still have plenty of ganache. And... I, myself, am a peeler! icon_surprised.gif

But I also make the occasional buttercream cake, too. And I think we all love beautiful cakes whether they're buttercream or fondant. One is no better or worse than the other - they're just different.

If you do decide to do it, can you post pics of the cut cake and let us know how it is? I would be very curious to know.

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 1 May 2011 , 4:06am
post #3 of 4

I do use buttercream & ganache under my cakes and under fondant. I don't think it would be very easy to accoplish a nice look and hard to work with, with the two BC/ganache mix. I make my own MMF and flavor it, there is so many to choose from and people that I have served it too that did not like fondant (mostly store bought) was the only thing they knew.. now love what I can do with it and requests other cakes in it. Maybe you may want to venture in making it fresh and favored, you might just like it!

Crazboutcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazboutcakes Posted 1 May 2011 , 4:07am
post #4 of 4

I do use buttercream & ganache under my cakes and under fondant. I don't think it would be very easy to accoplish a nice look and hard to work with, with the two BC/ganache mix. I make my own MMF and flavor it, there is so many to choose from and people that I have served it too that did not like fondant (mostly store bought) was the only thing they knew.. now love what I can do with it and requests other cakes in it. Maybe you may want to venture in making it fresh and favored, you might just like it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%