Fresh Strawberries In A Stacked Cake?

Decorating By Freedomx6 Updated 2 May 2011 , 8:16pm by Franluvsfrosting

Freedomx6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freedomx6 Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:38am
post #1 of 16

Does anyone use fresh strawberries in a stacked cake?

I made a three tier (12/10/8in) cake, and used strawberries, and the bottom cake is sliding. I don't know if it's the strawberries, or my dowel rods. Can anyone shed some light?

15 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 May 2011 , 4:53am
post #2 of 16

It's probably both now... the strawberries probably caused the initial sliding (too much) which may have also caused the dowels to move. Did you use a center dowel? This (or a few skewers) might help prevent the layers from sliding apart from one another, but not if there's an abundance of strawberries soaking into the cake and/or a stiff enough dam holding it all in.

Is your cake in the refrigerator? If not, it needs to be.

Freedomx6 Posted 1 May 2011 , 5:20am
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

It's probably both now... the strawberries probably caused the initial sliding (too much) which may have also caused the dowels to move. Did you use a center dowel? This (or a few skewers) might help prevent the layers from sliding apart from one another, but not if there's an abundance of strawberries soaking into the cake and/or a stiff enough dam holding it all in.

Is your cake in the refrigerator? If not, it needs to be.

Thank you for your response! I think you are right, that it was both. I've never had the dowels slip on me like that, but I've never used fresh strawberries either. I didn't use a center dowel either, I just read about it on another thread.

I know you're not supposed to refrigerate fondant once on the cake. So, how do you use fruits or fillings with fondant?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 May 2011 , 5:34am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomx4

I know you're not supposed to refrigerate fondant once on the cake. So, how do you use fruits or fillings with fondant?

Many people refrigerate fondant cakes successfully. If the fondant gets a little sticky when returning to room temp, just don't touch it and it'll be fine. I'd rather have sticky fondant than moldy strawberries, and they can start to mold in less than a day if not refrigerated.

Freedomx6 Posted 1 May 2011 , 3:26pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedomx4

Many people refrigerate fondant cakes successfully. If the fondant gets a little sticky when returning to room temp, just don't touch it and it'll be fine. I'd rather have sticky fondant than moldy strawberries, and they can start to mold in less than a day if not refrigerated.

Thanks CWR41!

After talking to you I put the cake in the fridge and everything looks great. I think you saved my cake.

I make cakes as a hobby for friends and family. I still have a lot to learn.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 May 2011 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 16

I never use fresh fruits in a filling, because as they give up juice, everything about the cake changes.

Freedomx6 Posted 1 May 2011 , 5:08pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I never use fresh fruits in a filling, because as they give up juice, everything about the cake changes.

I think this will be my only time. I don't like to worry.

Do you use any other fillings? I'm tired of plain buttercream, but I don't know what else to try.

Stephy42088 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephy42088 Posted 1 May 2011 , 5:41pm
post #8 of 16

what is you toss the fresh fruit in a glaze? will that hold the juices in?

leah_s Posted 1 May 2011 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 16

[quote="Freedomx4"][quote="leah_s"]I never use fresh fruits in a filling, because as they give up juice, everything about the cake changes.[/quote]I think this will be my only time. I don't like to worry.

Do you use any other fillings? I'm tired of plain buttercream, but I don't know what else to try.[/quote]

I offer chocolate bc, strawberry, lemon or orange creme, peanut butter creme or Bavarian creme, chocolate mint bc, and there might be more listed on my website. Bavarian creme is the most popular. All made with shelf stable sleeved fillings + some whipped icing. Comes out like mousse.

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 1 May 2011 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 16

I use fresh fruit all the time and freshly made refrigerated filling with all my cakes and most are fondant covered and they go right into the refrigerator till just before delivery, but I use SMBC so this helps keep the cake in check when the butter solidifies, that and skewers and the right dowels (I use straws).

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 1 May 2011 , 7:02pm
post #11 of 16

Ugh...I made the mistake of using fresh strawberries in the filling of my friend's cake and even with a hefty dam one still managed to poke through and 'bleed' down the side of my cake...no matter what I did I couldn't get it to stop! Now I either use Henry & Henry strawberry filling, or mix them with buttercream.

Freedomx6 Posted 2 May 2011 , 12:19am
post #12 of 16

The cake is served, and it did turn out good. The fondant wasn't nearly as neat looking after being in the fridge. I won't do that again. The recipient loved it, so I'm happy too.

Leah, can you direct me to your website so I can check out your recipes?

Freedomx6 Posted 2 May 2011 , 12:20am
post #13 of 16

And thanks again CRW41!

leah_s Posted 2 May 2011 , 12:45am
post #14 of 16

My website is www.LouisvilleWeddingCake.com, but there certainly aren't any recipes on there.

Freedomx6 Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:43am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

My website is www.LouisvilleWeddingCake.com, but there certainly aren't any recipes on there.

LOL My mistake, I misunderstood you when you said there were more listed on your website. I thought you meant recipes. I wasn't thinking about your recipes being your business.

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 2 May 2011 , 8:16pm
post #16 of 16

One of the favorites I do is a Strawberry Meringue cake. Their are sliced strawberries on the 1st and 3rd filling layer but I put down a layer of buttercream first. The middle layer of filling is a vanilla meringue disk on a thin layer of BC.

I make sure my strawberries are sliced uniformly and have a BC dam around the outside edge. I also use SPS if I'm stacking it but when I place the strawberries in the layers I try to keep the area where the legs till be free of strawberries or I cut them smaller. I've never had any problem with sliding. I do refrigerate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%