How Far In Advance?

Decorating By Kiwiheather Updated 3 May 2011 , 8:16pm by Marianna46

Kiwiheather Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:10am
post #1 of 7

I am making a graduation cake for next weekend. I am going to be carving a sour cream white cake and frosting withbutter creme then using the butter creme flavored mmf recipe from here. My question is, how far in advance can I assemble the cake and decorate it. This is my first cake for someone and if it doesn't come out, I want to be able to start over. Also I planned on keeping it in a box in air-conditioning, how long should it keep that way?

6 replies
Marianna46 Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:22am
post #2 of 7

It will keep for five or six days easy, so you could do it Tuesday or Wednesday with no problem to leave yourself a decent margin if you have trouble. Fondant is an excellent sealer and keeps cake fresh for a long time.

kakeladi Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:26am
post #3 of 7

Or you can bake, carve, crumb coat and freeze now; finish up 2 days ahead.

Nwbi Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:38am
post #4 of 7

>Or you can bake, carve, crumb coat and freeze now; finish up 2 days ahead.<

Can you freeze the crumb coated cake if it has a cherry sleeve filling?

Marianna46 Posted 2 May 2011 , 4:40am
post #5 of 7

Of course, you're right, kakeladi - I never think of doing that and it would be so helpful sometimes! I'd be interested to know about freezing sleeved fillings, too.

Nwbi Posted 3 May 2011 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 7

No one answered. Still wondering. I want to try a raspberry sleeve filling from a local grocery store bakery and would like to fill and crumbcoat ahead of time. I would really like to know if I can do that and then refreeze the cakes. I buy the cakes there too. If so, how long ahead of time can I do that? Days? Weeks? Months? I am not a pro. I don't sell cakes. Just like to decorate for the fun of it.

Marianna46 Posted 3 May 2011 , 8:16pm
post #7 of 7

Well, since no one has answered, I'd recommend a little experiment: freeze a little bit of the filling and thaw it and see if it breaks down or anything. The only thing that I think could happen is that the cornstarch thickening in the fruit filling might break down and stop thickening the stuff after you thawed it. I don't have any on hand (I'm out of town for a month right now) or I'd give it a try and tell you what happened! If you do end up doing it, could you let me know what happened? If you find out freezing it doesn't harm it in any way, the length of time it can be kept will be weeks or months not days. Usually, the problem is with freezing or not freezing, not with how long things can stay frozen. I hope you can find out what you need to know soon enough to use it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%