How Do I Stabilize A 10" Tall Cake?

Decorating By RebelGirlCakes Updated 3 May 2011 , 3:48am by RebelGirlCakes

RebelGirlCakes Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 11:41pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone,
I need your suggestions/expertise on how to stabilize a cake that is going to be about 10" tall, please. I'm making a drum for a groom's cake in early June and it's going to be 12" around and approx. 10" tall. I'm planning on making it by stacking several cakes on top of each other and then covering in buttercream, then fondant.
The couple doesn't necessarily want that much cake though and have asked that I use spacers to make up some of the height. I was thinking about using styrofoam spacers between every couple of cake layers. I've never used spacers and I'm scared to death the cake is going to topple over. It will have to travel for about 20 miles.
My specific questions are:
Do I put cardboard between the cakes and styrofoam or should I use plastic plates?
How do I keep all the layers from sliding around or falling over?
How do I keep the bottom layers from getting squished under the weight?
I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. You all seem to have such great advice! Thanks a bunch!

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:03am
post #2 of 5

........Do I put cardboard between the cakes and styrofoam or should I use plastic plates? ......
O.k. The finished cake is to be 12" round x 10" tall? But....you don't need that much cake? Here's one suggestion: Bake two 12" layers for a total heigth of 4". Use two 12"x2" styro rounds as the base. Put your real cake on a cake board the same size (12") which is then set right on top of the styro; ice & decorate the whole thing as one cake = no need to use any support anywhereicon_smile.gif It will be super stable.

............How do I keep all the layers from sliding around or falling over? .........
See above answericon_smile.gif Put a nice big blob of b'cream icing on the top of the styro for the real cake (on board) to sit on. It won't go anywhere unless you are a speed demon and take corners/turn on 2 wheels - LOL.

.......How do I keep the bottom layers from getting squished under the weight?.....
It's simply a two layer standard cake. No need for any support of any kind.

RebelGirlCakes Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:09am
post #3 of 5

Thanks a bunch Kakeladi! That sounds so much easier than what I was thinking about doing. Now maybe I can stop having nightmares about it! icon_biggrin.gif

cake_architect Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:29am
post #4 of 5

i agree with kakeladi icon_biggrin.gif just use the styrofoam rounds on the bottom and put the cake on top and decorate! maybe put a few dowels through the two cake layers and styrofoam if you think its not sturdy enough, otherwise you should be good to go!

RebelGirlCakes Posted 3 May 2011 , 3:48am
post #5 of 5

Thanks cake_architect. I appreciate your advice. I'm feeling better and better about this cake now. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%