This Is What Happens (Fresh Flowers)

Decorating By SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Updated 11 May 2011 , 2:57pm by cakegrandma

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 19

The bride brought me a pic of a cake she wanted. It had gumpaste roses on top...However she wanted fresh flowers on her cake. The roses the florist provided ruined my cake...and there was nothing I could do about it icon_sad.gif
They're OFF WHITE!!! Almost yellow compared to the white cake. My cake would have looked so much better if she would have just let me put the white gumpaste roses on top. I delivered this cake today,and I'm sure she's not going to be pleased when she sees it, but it was her choice icon_sad.gif
Lesson learned.

I would give credit to the original designer....but I have no idea who made it.

18 replies
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 11:32pm
post #2 of 19

ugg...why won't the pic attach! icon_eek.gif

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 11:33pm
post #3 of 19

Uploading the picture in my photos.

cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 19

Although I do agree with you that the flowers stand out - I still think the cake is fabulous! Very pretty, good work! What did the bride think in the end?

psmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psmith Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 19

The cake is beautiful! If you hadn't said the flowers were supposed to be white, I wouldn't have guessed it wasn't a plan for them to be yellow. The yellow works well too. It is such a lovely cake!! icon_smile.gif

tokazodo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tokazodo Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:12am
post #6 of 19

I can see where you were going with the white roses. The cake would have been killer awesome with white gum paste roses.
I also understand when it is your creation, something you envision, and someone has to tamper with that dream cake.
I never would have known about the roses, unless you said something. I think it gives it a kind of vintage look.
You work is excellent!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:22am
post #7 of 19

The cake is gorgeous! Your piping made it all worth it! Yellow or white roses, either way it's a great cake. Good job! icon_biggrin.gif

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:24am
post #8 of 19

Such an elegant and charming cake.. all your fine piping work has been executed perfectly.. well done! I can definitely invision the gumpaste flowers.. would have been divine! However, to be honest, I think your finer details to the cake actually outshine the focus of the roses anyhow.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:28am
post #9 of 19

Thanks guys... I guess I'm just a perfectionist... You guys saying it still looks good makes me feel better. That piping was a PITA! Over 3 hours of piping alone. I haven't heard from the bride yet, the wedding started about an hour and a half ago...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. She seems to be a little "picky" so I'm worried. lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:30am
post #10 of 19

The perfection of your work shows through no matter what. I like the cake. I don't think it ruined your creation at all.
Yes, gp white roses would have accented the beautiful work even more but the fresh flowers really don't take away your wonderful work.
It's up to the bride to have a talk with the florist. If *she/bride* was unhappy it should not reflect on you one bit.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:01am
post #11 of 19

I agree that white gumpaste would have looked better than the those real ones, nevertheless you did a fantastic job on the cake. The bride obviously wanted real roses. Not your fault that the white roses aren't actually white (are white roses ever truly white?).

LoveMeSomeCake615 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveMeSomeCake615 Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:21am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

Thanks guys... I guess I'm just a perfectionist... You guys saying it still looks good makes me feel better. That piping was a PITA! Over 3 hours of piping alone. I haven't heard from the bride yet, the wedding started about an hour and a half ago...so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. She seems to be a little "picky" so I'm worried. lol

I TOTALLY know this feeling! I always have this nagging little fear that the bride will hate the cake and call us as soon as the wedding is over to complain! It hasn't happened yet though!

All that said, I agree with everyone else, your work is stunning, and while I see what you mean about the gumpaste roses, I'm sure the bride loved it. It's what she asked for, is it not? And flawlessly executed. There is absolutely NOTHING to not like! Great job! thumbs_up.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 1 May 2011 , 11:45pm
post #13 of 19

It's absolutely beautiful.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:25am
post #14 of 19

Your work is beautiful. The gumpaste flowers would have been better if she wanted a pure white look but the yellow tint to those roses was very pretty. Sometimes brides do not take into account that natural live flowers are NEVER the exact color they are sold as. I went to a cousin's wedding years ago where the bride had seafoam green bridesmaids dresses (13 of them...) and had multi colored spring boquets for all of them, well she also had about 4 dozen "white" roses in her boquet but because they were a little greenish in color, enhanced by all the green around her, they looked AWFUL. And of course the ones on top of her pure white cake were the same way. She was very upset about the whole thing but her best friend had warned her to no avail.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:01am
post #15 of 19

If I am putting fresh flowers on the cake, I like to buy them and store them. I've had this happen a couple of times. I arrive at the venue and they have the flowers sitting there for me to use. The flowers were so wilted, the cake gets the leftovers, I guess. I had to run out to the grocery store and buy more flowers. They couldn't understand what the problem was, said to use them. But it makes the cake look bad, so I bought the flowers myself.

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:15am
post #16 of 19

Did you tort the single layer cakes OP?

SweetcakesCT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetcakesCT Posted 11 May 2011 , 7:37am
post #17 of 19

Maybe it's just me, but I kinda like the contrast.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:56pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetcakesCT

Maybe it's just me, but I kinda like the contrast.

Me too!

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 11 May 2011 , 2:57pm
post #19 of 19

I think with the contrast as well as the beautiful piping the cake looks very elegant. I'm sure the bride loved it, who wouldn't? thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif
evelyn

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%