Covering Your Cake Boards

Baking By SugarBakerz Updated 6 May 2007 , 9:07pm by Temptations

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 30

I just wanted to see what others covered their cakeboards with? I use foil, which is good sometimes and sometimes stick out? I have seen colored stuff, but didn't know where to purchase it? Someone had mentioned the use of wrapping papers, are the safe to put food on? Any ideas or suggestions would help me out icon_smile.gif Thank so much!

29 replies
beesting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesting Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 30

i use wrapping papers and if your worried about them and food coming into contact, you can cover the wrapping paper with clear book cover stuff, in australia its called 'contact' that way your paper will stay nice and you can sanitise the contact after its applied... hope this is helpful

Cakerer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakerer Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 30

The fancifoil is rather pricey, which can be purchased at cake decorating supply stores, hobby lobby, michaels - in the Cake Dec area.

I prefer to use wrapping paper or scrapbook paper...then cover with clear contact paper (which can be purchased at walmart, etc.). I read a post several days ago where someone found matte finished contact paper but all I can find is shiny. My let it snow cake and baby belly cake are both on wrapping paper w/contact paper covering if you wanted to see the difference.

2kiddos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2kiddos Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 30

I use the disposable, vinyl table cloths. They are huge, so you can cover tons of boards, for a very low cost. I buy every color to have on hand when I need it. They are only $1.99 at Hobby Lobby, Walmart, etc. You can even get them at the $1 stores!
Just cut to size and tape securely on back of board.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 30

I only cover the cakes for my kids & cakes that will be eaten at home with tinfoil. Otherwise I think it is ugly. A cake should look professional from top to bottom. I think tinfoil takes away from the beauty of the cake. Cakes covered other ways are very pretty but tinfoil to me is ugly. Wrapping paper, contact paper, plastic table cloths, material, lots of other ways that are very pretty~ That's just IMO~ icon_smile.gif

SugarBakerz Posted 21 Jan 2007 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 30

wowowowow super glad I asked this... I have tons of wrapping paper scraps and was worried so I didn't use it. I did one board at christmas in gold, but it was for my family, so I didn't worry too much icon_smile.gif But I have an entire roll of it now, and would love to do it on my V-day boards.. The contact paper is a great idea...

do i just wrap my board in wrapping paper and then rewrap with contact paper? I have never used contact paper before, does it adhere on its own or something, have to tape it ? You guys are great.... I am working on some v-day cakes for a customer to use as samples at work and want to be able to have them look nice and not foil!

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:02am
post #7 of 30

I found the matte finish clear contact paper at my grocery store, of all places. Home depot had it, but it was a giant roll and more than i needed at the time. it was a test run, and I only wanted a small roll. It sticks like you wouldn't believe, so you need to be careful. Do it slowly if you're going over paper. I never even thought of doing the wrapping paper thing, such a simple idea. I will definitely start going to the dollar store regularly for wrapping papers! Thanks for the tip.

Cakerer Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:13am
post #8 of 30

I usually cover the board w/wrapping paper & secure w/tape. Then cut the contact paper 'larger'. I peel the backing off only one end and stick it to my counter (about an inch) then slowly pull the backing down until I have enough room to stick my board to it. OK, this sounds extreme but I had the hardest time with air bubbles/creases until I did that....and it usually works well. Everyone does it differently I'm sure..it's been rolled so tight, it take practice to stop it from rolling up sometimes. Good luck!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:21am
post #9 of 30

I like the idea of different wrapping papers covered with contact paper..... but would it not get pricy if you don't get the board back; and to have a board worth getting back, I am sure it is not just cardboard........what do you use?

deb

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:37am
post #10 of 30

I also like to use Reynolds Freezer Paper. It is white...shiny on one side, matte on the other. Someone on CC suggested it. It looks nice, and isn't too expensive, especially when I have coupons. The stinky thing is that they don't have it at my Target or Wal-Mart...I can only get it at the grocery store (near the foil, Saran Wrap, etc.).

Cakerer Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:43am
post #11 of 30

For my sheet cakes, I usually use 2 cardboard boards...about .69 each at my local CD store. I also use copy paper box tops with the sides trimmed off. Those are free from the print room at work icon_smile.gif. The wrapping paper I always get after Christmas or from the dollar tree...so I'm probably spending about .25 per board. The contact paper is cheaper per foot if you buy the larger roll. I think mine was about $4 for the standard roll from Walmart, but I don't have the pkg to see how much per sq foot. Also, the scrapbook paper was 10/$1...a few weeks before Christmas. I just look for sales & buy it, even though I may not need it at the time. I always use it later. I have so much wrapping paper it's stored in rubbermaid containers under my bed!

SugarBakerz Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:44am
post #12 of 30

Well I DO use cardboard for my boards, that is why I want them covered.. I have thought of wood but was always afraid that they would'nt come back after I invested in them. I do buy cardboard boards, but if there is a chance that a decent strong box comes in my house, I don't hesitate to cut it down and cover it.... I also order my rounds off of instawares and now have more than I can deal with. I am with others, dollar tree paper is great, plus you always have leftovers you buy for kids gifts, at least I do... I am sooooo not a gift bag person, so I have all kinds and colors...

Cakerer Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:47am
post #13 of 30

Someone above mentioned the vinyl tablecloths. I purchased a few before Christmas with the intention of using them...Also found more after Christmas at Dollar General (red, green, holly). Got them for .50 each!!!!! I'm a sucker for a sale. Of course, I had to leave them in my car until my husband was at work icon_redface.gif . I'm looking for a large armoir (or something that be used for storage but still look pretty)....

If anyone else has any more ideas I'd love to hear them!

Derby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Derby Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:48am
post #14 of 30

I also use wrapping paper covered in contact paper. It's not difficult and it goes a REALLY long way. I buy the plain colored paper at Party City and it's REALLY cheap and I use it for gifts as well, so it all gets used. I'm on the same roll of contact paper after a BUNCH of cakes, so that goes pretty far, too.

Cakerer Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:52am
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSuziesSweets

I do buy cardboard boards, but if there is a chance that a decent strong box comes in my house, I don't hesitate to cut it down and cover it..

If you do a lot of cupcakes, etc, maybe you can check with your local library, ups store or somewhere that prints mailers, etc. Usually, the boxes are recycled...surely they would let you have them just for taking them off their hands. The paper box tops are great for cupcakes..just cover with some press and seal saran wrap.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 12:59am
post #16 of 30

My 2 cents here, tin foil under each layer of a wedding cake really detracts from the beauty of it. I did it once...not again! I may sound like a snob, but I cringe when I see foil under a wedding cake. For family/friends cakes with no seriousness involved foil is okay. Generally I use the freezer paper for most of mine if I don't have the cake boards in the right size.
I haven't done the wrapping paper with contact paper as of yet but hopefully someday I'll try it.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 1:38am
post #17 of 30

Sounds like the contact paper goes further than I expected it. Wonder if I can find it at the dollar strore icon_rolleyes.gif I too bring home boxes from the office - the ones that hold copy paper are real good.

deb

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 9:18am
post #18 of 30

I have used the freezer paper for years, and it works fine. I have also gone the wrapping paper route with the clear contact paper. You can also use the fancy paper doilles, but I always put a sheet of wax paper under the cake and add a little extra for the border, that way the b/c doesn't stain the doilly. I also hot glue ribbon around the board for a special extra touch.

beesting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beesting Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 11:48pm
post #19 of 30

my cake boards are mostly masonite ( timber chips formed into a sheet) my husband just cuts out the shapes i need... they are not too expensive if you cut them out yourself. we paid AU $8.00 for a sheet and i have gotten so so so many boards out of it , worked out to be around 50cents each or something wich is good for australia and i dont have to worry about my board supporting the weight of my cakes... for cupcakes though cardboard would be way easier and probably more economical too.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 5:45am
post #20 of 30

Hey chickie......it's your Ohio buddy! I also used Freezer Paper because it's so cost effective! I have used the wrapping paper/contact paper thing too, but found it to be quite expensive in my neck of the woods. My local WalMart carries a huge roll of Freezer Paper very cheap and it lasts a really long time! Then I only have to wrap my boards once and it doesn't take so much time!

Cakerer Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:45am
post #21 of 30

Just an update on this for those who don't use contact paper already. I checked walmart today and for a 42 sq ft roll (said it had 20% more) it was 5.74...appx .14 per sq ft.

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:08am
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakerer

I usually cover the board w/wrapping paper & secure w/tape. Then cut the contact paper 'larger'. I peel the backing off only one end and stick it to my counter (about an inch) then slowly pull the backing down until I have enough room to stick my board to it. OK, this sounds extreme but I had the hardest time with air bubbles/creases until I did that....and it usually works well. Everyone does it differently I'm sure..it's been rolled so tight, it take practice to stop it from rolling up sometimes. Good luck!

I never used contact paper on a cake board before, but I agree about the bubbles/rolling up problem with contact paper in general. It's frustrating stuff to work with. I like your tip!

cambo Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:21am
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakerer

Just an update on this for those who don't use contact paper already. I checked walmart today and for a 42 sq ft roll (said it had 20% more) it was 5.74...appx .14 per sq ft.

Yeah....that's why I buy Freezer Paper. Although I love the look of wrapping paper covered with contact paper, I don't have the cost of two different mediums, plus the cost of my time to wrap them.....and I paid $4.76 for a 150 sq. ft. roll of Freezer Paper today at Walmart....that's about .03 per square foot. Doesn't sound like much, but really is a nice cost savings at the end of the year!

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:24am
post #24 of 30

Freezer paper is grease resistant? Sounds like a good idea.

cambo Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:36am
post #25 of 30

Yes, one side of the paper is plastic coated.....so no way grease can absorb! It's awsome!

giovanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giovanna Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:52am
post #26 of 30

I'm so glad that I read this!!! I've always used tinfoil because I didn't think that anything else was "food grade". What great information!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:15am
post #27 of 30

I, too, use wrapping paper and contact paper. BUT, I also order floral foil from my florist friend for about $5.00/roll. I use gold and silver the most, but, also have red, black, purple and royal. Now, if I need green all I have to do is use the back side which is already covered in vinyl! I cover the foil side with contact.

RE: Aluminum foil. I have used it ONCE and it was on satellite wedding cakes. BUT, couldn't find silver wrapping paper (didn't think of JUST WHITE, DUH!). The colors were white and silver and they were placed on mirrored tiles and it was DARK! You will find it in my pics under May Cake. It worked okay, but, I now make sure waaaay in advance that I have what is needed for my wedding cake boards!

Beth in KY

Khess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Khess Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:18am
post #28 of 30

I've covered a wedding cake board in marblized fondant which matched the colours on the cake. It's in my photos if you wanted to peek. A nice ribbon on the edge would have really given it a finished look (it was for a class so I didn't even think of it at the time).

SugarBakerz Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:56pm
post #29 of 30

wow, thanks for all of the great advice, guess I started a beneficial thread after all icon_smile.gif I am currently using the wrapping paper and contact paper method, once that roll of contact runs out, I am going to try the freeze paper idea.. like cambo says, seems much cheaper overall. Not to mention less time consuming. Thanks again for everyone's input, I always learn so much here and am thankful for all of the ideas and responses I get....

GOTTA LOVE CC

Temptations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Temptations Posted 6 May 2007 , 9:07pm
post #30 of 30

So I used gingham fabric for a baby shower cake once. Then I used clear contact paper over it, but I didn't know if I should wrap it all the way to the back so I just cut it flush with the cardboard round and glued ribbon the edge of the board. Do you guys wrap the contact paper all the way to the back and if so...how do you get it smooth?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%