How Do You Bake Layers For A Rainbow Cake

Baking By valerieInga Updated 30 Apr 2011 , 11:02pm by SharonK1973

valerieInga Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 6

A friend wants a rainbow layer cake, where the cake is actually colored in layers when you cut it. I've seen some here but I don't know if I have to bake each (6) layer separately or if they would stay even if I could layer each color of batter on top of each other or could wax paper be put between the layers to keep them even, and would it still bake proper if it was in there?????????
I'm going to make WASC and have electric food colors to use. My friend lost a baby two years ago due to a syndrome and so this baby is considered a "rainbow baby" like the rainbow after a storm. I think that is such a sweet idea. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.

5 replies
BrindysBackyard Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 6

you need bake each layer separately to get a clean look. if you bake the cake with the batter layered ontop of each other it looks more like a tye-die cake. You can use the disposable foil pans for each layer so you donot have to clean the pans for each layer and the prep time clean up is a little eaiser

Reganlynn Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 6

I've done a rainbow before and yes you have to bake each layer seperate. Just do really thin layers of batter in the pans.

valerieInga Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the information. I thought that is what I'd have to do. guess I'll be baking for a while, although thin layers should bake fairly fast, I'll have to keep a close eye on them. icon_wink.gif

Reganlynn Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 6

Yes! They bake very quickly so keep a good eye on the first layer and then you can set the timer for the rest. It will go by quickly.

SharonK1973 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 11:02pm
post #6 of 6

I got this cake without baking each cake separately. I used wasc for it to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%