Cake Batter Left Over - How To Use - Help

Baking By whiteangel Updated 2 May 2011 , 11:40pm by whiteangel

whiteangel Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a 16" square, 16" x 12" oval, and 15" petal, 2" two layer cakes. Will be using a cake mix extender that should give about 6 cups of batter approx.

For you pros that is about 76 cups of batter. I can only bake one pan at a time and there is always batter left over and I have tried to put this batter in the fridge and use for the next bunch of cake, but that turned out BAD.

I need !!! Left over batter is a waste to just toss, to say nothing of the expense. So how can i use this?

To clarify, I don't make all 76 cups (or how ever many) up at one time, Just the one cake that I will be baking at that moment. Sometimes there might be 2-4 cups left over.

Any and all help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated !!!

10 replies
GinnyK Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 11

The obvious answer is cupcakes. It sounds like you could get six or eight cupcakes, then freeze them; they keep for quite a while if they're well-protected. Lots of threads on how to freeze cakes, cupcakes etc.
I can't quite imagine 76 cups of batter ..... icon_eek.gif

whiteangel Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 11

This will be a cake for my husband's work. As one of the things the employees will be doing to celebrate IBM's centinnel this year, they are having a bake off. So and eye-cake, bee-cake, M-cake, lined up together. It will be 2-layer cakes from 2"pans and I think I have calculated the amounts right, lol !! I have noticed that the baking chart given by Wilton calls for more batter than I actually use for 1/2 filled in large pans, sometimes by a cup or two.

I am cheap I guess. That many cupcakes in the freezer I know my kids would love, but would rather make those fresh when needed. Want to use the batter but not great with math and not sure how to just mix up a 1/3 and so forth. Should have paid attention in school more or 30+ years out of school might be the problem too.

TexasSugar Posted 2 May 2011 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 11

I have used cake batter (from a cake mix) that has been in the fridge with out any problems. I had some left over from a cake this weekend where I put the extra batter in the freezer for use later on this month. I've done this before and it has worked out well for me.

Also if I am baking again after one comes out, and it isn't going to be sitting out forever, I've even left batter out on the cabinet.

leah_s Posted 2 May 2011 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 11

I make up about 40 cups of batter at a time and hold it in the fridge for several days. Ditto the bakery I worked at. Sorry to hear it didn't work for you.

'd suggest just holding the one or two cups and mixing in the fresher batter with it and bake.

Or maybe it's time to buy another pan or two so you can bake more at the same time.

kelcyrenee Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:09pm
post #6 of 11

When I have extra batter, I usually make mini loaves of cake and freeze them. It is nice to have for when the family wants some cake or if someone stops by unexpectedly. I actually have a friend who comes just for cake so these are perfect for 2! lol

karabeal Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 11

I have refrigerated my WASC-style batter for a couple of days. No problem--works great. I've left it on the counter for a few hours while it waits it's turn in the oven. No problem--works great. But I usually just make cupcakes with the extra. It's an efficient way to use up a few cups of batter and I've found that since I usually have frozen cupcakes and also usually have frozen buttercream, it's a snap to whip up a treat to take to my children's school or to a friend or neighbor who needs a pick-me-up.

jenng1482 Posted 2 May 2011 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 11

I usually have a cup or so left also when making a variety of sizes. I freeze the batter and then thaw when i need that flavor and just mix it into the fresh. It always bakes up great. If I know I'll need it soon, I keep it in the fridge for a few days.

Last week I had just a bit left from both white and chocolate. I used my 6" square pan, placed a small silicon impression mat that I happened to have in the middle and poured both flavors into the pan. Voila! Cakes for tastings! I will wrap and freeze until needed. This will eliminate needed to bake up small batches for random tasting appointments!/photo.php?fbid=10150231637825948&set=a.146912855947.136642.521985947&type=1&theater

karabeal Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 11

Clever idea Jenng!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 2 May 2011 , 6:07pm
post #10 of 11

I have frozen left over batter and it has worked great!! It alleviates having extra cakes in the freezer that I usually end up tossing.

whiteangel Posted 2 May 2011 , 11:40pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you all for your help. This time I just made small cakes with the left overs but next time I will just save and use it with the new fresh batch. My kids are going nuts with all the cakes I have been making so the small cakes are helping my sanity. LOL .

I think the reason it didn't work before is it had been sitting a little long and maybe adding just a little milk will also help the weirdness that happened before. It almost looked like a flower mold on top, tasted okay - not as good as normal - but very odd looking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%