Long Delivery Walk...need Ideas

Decorating By kseevers Updated 1 May 2011 , 4:24pm by JulieMN

kseevers Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 11

I have a delivery this afternoon, and I have been racking my brain all week as to how to do this one. The reception site does not have parking, delivery zone, delivery dock...nothing! I talked to someone at the site, and the closest place to park is about 1 city block away plus into the building. I will have to carry the cake to the site from there. I will be stacking and finishing it there, because of the weight and size.

My question is....I have never really covered my cakes with anything during delivery. Should I cover it since I am walking for a bit? With what? It is white buttercream covered.

Any ideas will be awesome! ~Thank you~

10 replies
KJ62798 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 6:07pm
post #2 of 11

How many cakes? Do you have a rolling baker's cart or some other small wheeled rack?

Each cake could go in a regular bakery box and then on the cart so you can wheel them to the location. Seems a safer option than trying to carry them by hand for that distance.

Chef_Stef Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 11

A block away??? Where are the guests and staff parking? Wow

I'd ask them if they have a cart (some do), or find out if there is anyone (planner's interns, staff, whoever) who can assist with carrying, OR definitely bring some help. If it's that long a walk, and no cart, I'd bring help for sure.

And bring some bottled water, because you'll be thirsty after making a zillion trips back and forth. I've had to do that with a long walk to a boat launch locally---I swear it's a 1/4 mile walk, lol. The last time I caught a boat staff guy going that way and he carried the fully boxed cake for me, dear boy.

I still can't believe any venue wouldn't have closer parking for unloading...

But then, I've been known to drive my car right up to the door (regardless of whether there's parking there) or across the lawn/field to the tent, barn, gazebo, or whatever, because it's The Cake, and I'm not carrying it across the bumpy field by hand... I do draw the line at flower beds, though. icon_lol.gif (I'm KIDDing of course!)

kseevers Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 6:29pm
post #4 of 11

The cake is a 16", 12" and and 8". I am placing the 16" in the stand and then going to leave the other two unassembled til I get there. I have large gumpaste gardenias going on to, but those are packaged seperate already. I don't have a cart. So I think I will be making trips. I was surprised too. I guess guests will be parking in a parking garage about a block and half away. Hopefully it will go well.

Kristy- I think I might try to run out real quick and snag a couple boxes for the smaller cakes.

Chef_Stef- LOL! I haven't done the up and over anything for a delivery yet! But, I'm sure it will come. icon_smile.gif

Chef_Stef Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 11

Yeah, I can get pretty diva-ish when it comes to parking when I get there... lol. But I'm *not* parking a football field away and carrying anything that far.

If it's an 8" top, then yes you probably better take separate layers. I can carry a 6", 10" 16", but yours sounds a bit too heavy to carry stacked. Especially any distance.

If you can get some help, box the 6 and 10 tiers up (or if you're brave with stacking, stack those two together and set them carefully on the 16" when you arrive), have the helper carry one-- you both make a trip with a tier each, then go back for the other tier and your flowers, so two trips might do it.

Good luck! And do try to find closer parking. I've even double parked in the street before outside a difficult venue... crazy cake diva that I am lol

DianeLM Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 7:16pm
post #6 of 11

For carrying the cake(s), may I suggest a small folding table or TV table? You're not going to want to roll the cake on a cart over rough terrain. Your best bet is to carry it. Place the cake on the table. Your partner and you each take an end of the table. Walk as far as you can. If you need to stop and rest, just put down the table!

sari66 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 7:35pm
post #7 of 11

I'd park at the front door!! lol I'm delivering a cake not training for a marathon! lol It shouldnt take that long to deliver and setup so the venue should allow for this. If you really cannot then bring help.

carmijok Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 11

I cannot believe all deliveries are made by looking for the best available parking. Who did you talk to at the venue? Talk to the person who is handling the food either at the venue or whoever is catering--or at least the manager!
At the very least take a cart and a friend with you and then pull up to the front door and unload your cakes onto the cart while your other person guards it...or wheels it inside. That's too far to walk with THE cake!

KatieKake Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 8:00pm
post #9 of 11

I agree with Sari66 park at the front door, and if you get a ticket, give it to the venue manager. I would give them a call prior to delivery, talk to the venue manager and inquire just where they expect you to park. I can't believe they don't have some sort of parking, I would charge extra for delivery in that situation. They must get food, floral, other deliveries, and I can't imagine, they all make that long walk with their products .

kseevers Posted 1 May 2011 , 5:10am
post #10 of 11

Thanks all!

I ended up getting just as the catering truck was too. So, I followed them right up to the front of the building! Lol. I guess they have done it before. I was surprised that the building didn't have any other area to pull up or park, but It all worked out in the end!

Kristin icon_smile.gif

JulieMN Posted 1 May 2011 , 4:24pm
post #11 of 11

Glad to hear that it all worked out. I wouldn't have walked the distance it seemed you originally would have had to for delivery. I'm surprised that the site didn't suggest that you pull up in front in the first place!

Quote by @%username% on %date%