Nonperishable Cheesecake Frosting? Anyone Ever Tried This?

Decorating By Takeelah Updated 2 May 2011 , 1:15am by Kristie925

Takeelah Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 13

I am a bit uneasy about using cream cheese frosting for my wedding cupcakes. (They would be in an air conditioned room about 12 hours.) So, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried this. I bought LorAnn's cheesecake oil and used it in my buttercream, expecting it to taste like cream cheese frosting, but it didn't. It was good...but not the same.

So, I thought I might try making a buttercream and adding the cheesecake flavoring, but also adding either cheesecake pudding mix, or Jello no-bake cheesecake mix to it. Have you guys tried this?

12 replies
Takeelah Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 10:21pm
post #2 of 13

I can't be the only one that has thought of this. icon_razz.gif

costumeczar Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 10:31pm
post #3 of 13

Just do the cream cheese frosting, it will be fine and it will taste a lot better than adding all that artificial stuff to it!

SharonK1973 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 13

I haven't done any of that, but I do make a cream cheese frosting that doesn't need to be refrigerated. I use a recipe very similar Indydeby's frosting and replace half of the shortening with cream cheese. Very, good, very easy to make, and has stayed out for a few days without any problems.

Takeelah Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 13

Do you guys really do cream cheese frosting for weddings?

SharonK1973 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 13

yep... check out www.earlenescakes.com (Mod edited to provide working link.)

She has recipes on there too!

costumeczar Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:35am
post #7 of 13

I did two wedding cakes today that had cream cheese icing for fillings. I don't do it for the outside of wedding cakes because it's too hard to smooth out, but I'd do it for the "rustic" look if somebody wanted that.

Takeelah Posted 1 May 2011 , 3:26am
post #8 of 13

Well, I would much rather use real cream cheese frosting! thumbs_up.gif

doramoreno62 Posted 1 May 2011 , 4:16am
post #9 of 13

You can use your favorite cream cheese frosting. The high amount of sugar stablizes it and makes it non perishable for a few days. There's a thread on that somewhere here on CC.

JanH Posted 1 May 2011 , 10:17am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by doramoreno62

You can use your favorite cream cheese frosting. The high amount of sugar stablizes it and makes it non perishable for a few days. There's a thread on that somewhere here on CC.

Yes, your favorite recipe may be shelf stable if it's a cream cheese flavored American buttercream recipe . icon_smile.gif

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-582086-.html
(Includes shelf stable cream cheese flavored American b/c recipes.)

American buttercreams are shelf stable because the large amount of sugar (which is hygroscopic) controls the water activity in the small amount of liquid used:

Water activity & microbial growth:
(Prolonging Bakery Product Life.)

http://tinyurl.com/ya8po4z

WJ Scott in 1953 first established that it was water activity, not water content that correlated with bacterial growth:

http://tinyurl.com/bmsato

Formulating for increased shelf life:
(Decreasing water activity results in hostile environment for bacteria.)

http://tinyurl.com/csu2b9

HTH

costumeczar Posted 1 May 2011 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 13

I wouldn't leave it out for a few days, but I wouldn't have a problem with the time that it took to set up and have a reception!

fabfour Posted 2 May 2011 , 12:50am
post #12 of 13

I mixed cheesecake pudding in my buttercream for a couple to taste with the red velvet and they LOVED it. They didn't realize it wasn't real cream cheese icing. So, that is what I use now if someone wants cream cheese icing.

Kristie925 Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:15am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabfour

I mixed cheesecake pudding in my buttercream for a couple to taste with the red velvet and they LOVED it. They didn't realize it wasn't real cream cheese icing. So, that is what I use now if someone wants cream cheese icing.

I'm so trying this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%