Lots Of Small Cakes For A Big Wedding

Decorating By mombabytiger Updated 30 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm by kakeladi

mombabytiger Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 9:39am
post #1 of 9

I am doing a wedding in July and the bride has requested 9-in cakes in different flavors/looks instead of one big cake. Count is 150.

My question: I know how many people a 9 inch will feed. However - if you have different flavors (one being chocolate, of course), does this change how you figure the servings?

IOW, how do you figure in the people who are going to want to taste some of everything???

Thanks!

8 replies
JRAE33 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 10:09am
post #2 of 9

How is she planning on displaying the cakes? When I did 26 cakes for a wedding, they were used as centerpieces on the tables, so each table just got a cake. It was pretty cool.

I wouldn't worry about how many flavors...as in, don't plan the serving around the number of flavors, but rather the number of guests.

MimiFix Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 11:47am
post #3 of 9

When my daughter got married she lived three hundred miles away. Instead of making one large tiered cake, which would have been a transporting nightmare, I did a dessert table with small cakes (seven inch, round and hearts) and cookies. I made the same amount of cake, but in different flavors. A few guests sampled more than one piece, but most guests picked only one. It was the easiest wedding cake I'd ever made.

mombabytiger Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks! I think we're going to display them on one long table on different levels. The trick, I think, is to make them all coordinate. Her colors are light purple and moss green.

Looking forward to the challenge. If I can pull it off, I think it will be beautiful.

Takeelah Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 12:59pm
post #5 of 9

I would count each cake as serving 12, but if people are serving themselves, it could be more or less. Probably better to make a few extras. The colors and table sound like they will be lovely! I hope you post a pic! icon_smile.gif

JulieMN Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 1:08pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRAE33

they were used as centerpieces on the tables, so each table just got a cake. It was pretty cool.

That is how I have usually seen it done too with the guests at the table serving themselves from their cake. If the wedding is without a defined seating chart-- random cake flavors depending on where you sit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mombabytiger

Thanks! I think we're going to display them on one long table on different levels. .

If they are going to be displayed together who is cutting/serving them? How are they planning to serve them--slices brought to each table, or plated and left on the display table?

The serving size doesn't change because there are multiple flavors. There may be people who will want to try more than one, there are people who will leave before the cake is served or who won't take any cake. The couple should get the number of standard size wedding servings they want to pay for regardless of the flavors.

MimiFix Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 1:16pm
post #7 of 9

For my daughter's dessert table, I made sure to have the cakes within easy reach and placed knives by each cake. I cut the first few pieces to get it started and then only helped guests who asked for help. Most guests enjoyed the ability to cut their own piece.

dawncr Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeelah

I would count each cake as serving 12, but if people are serving themselves, it could be more or less. Probably better to make a few extras. The colors and table sound like they will be lovely! I hope you post a pic! icon_smile.gif

Standard charts say a 9" round (double layer) serves 32. You'd base your per serving price on that number. You'd need only 5 of these to reach her number of guests. If they tend to be big eaters and have more than one slice of cake, she may want to order another. You'd still charge based on 32 servings were 9" cake.

kakeladi Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 5:36pm
post #9 of 9

.....I would count each cake as serving 12......

Heavens!!! Those would be totally HUGE pieces icon_sad.gif a 9"x4" round will serve 32 to 39.

If they are allowing guests to cut the pieces themselves then you will need more/extra. BUT....make sure they pay for those extra servings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%