You're Charging How Much?!

Decorating By medusas_touch Updated 3 May 2011 , 4:48am by lilmissbakesalot

medusas_touch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medusas_touch Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 7:34am
post #1 of 17

So after hunting online and off, I finally found a store relatively close to me that regularly stocks and sells Karo Corn Syrup in both dark and light. I couldn't find it anywhere else so I decided to grab 2 16 oz bottles of the light syrup and make mental note of where the store is and take the bottles to the register. The cashier enters them into the till and says to me "That'll be... $17.30 please."
I swear, my heart stopped. $8.65 per bottle! I need the corn syrup for several new recipes I want to try but still thought that this was extremely steep for what is basically thick sugar water. Guess thats the price you pay. But you'd think with the AU$ above parity, the prices would drop somewhat.

16 replies
motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 7:58am
post #2 of 17

I pay $4 a litre..... it sucks!

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 17

at my local cake decorating store, one bottle cost $17.95! i was absolutely gobsmacked! needless to say, i didn't purchase it from there...
But i've never seen it for less than $8 per bottle icon_sad.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 17

Wow!! For corn syrup??? Here in the states it runs about $3/bottle.

annie84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie84 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 17

I know these prices are RIDICULOUSLY overpriced, but if you really need some of the North American ingredients, here's a place you can order them from in Australia.

http://ocanada.com.au/shop/canadian-foods/baking-supplies?limit=all

medusas_touch Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:27pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks so much for the link annie84. That makes it so much easier than running all over the place looking for obscure (by au standards anyway) products.

While I'm thinking about it, what exactly would be the difference between dark and light corn syrup? Flavour? Viscosity (thickness)? Or just the colour of the final product?

Just curious.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 17

...........what exactly would be the difference between dark and light corn syrup? Flavour?......

Yes. The dark contains molasses (as I remember).

medusas_touch Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

...........what exactly would be the difference between dark and light corn syrup? Flavour?......

Yes. The dark contains molasses (as I remember).

In that case, I should be able to use regular molasses if a recipe calls for dark corn syrup shouldn't I? That'd be so much cheaper for me than $8+ a bottle for 16 oz (475ml) as opposed to $4+ for 500ml.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 1 May 2011 , 6:08am
post #9 of 17

>> Karo Light corn syrup = Light corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, salt, vanilla.
>> Karo Dark corn syrup = Dark corn syrup, refiners syrup [cane sugar syrup], caramel flavor, salt, sodium benzoate, caramel color.

You should be able to get cornsyrup from foodservice suppliers, brewer's supply houses, as well as larger supermarkets: IGA and Coles sometimes have it ..

Failing that, Liquid Glucose is an Australian substitute ..

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 1 May 2011 , 6:32am
post #10 of 17

[/quote] In that case, I should be able to use regular molasses if a recipe calls for dark corn syrup shouldn't I? [/quote]

NO! Molasses alone in substitution will be WAY TOO intense a flavor.

medusas_touch Posted 1 May 2011 , 6:33am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

>> Karo Light corn syrup = Light corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, salt, vanilla.
>> Karo Dark corn syrup = Dark corn syrup, refiners syrup [cane sugar syrup], caramel flavor, salt, sodium benzoate, caramel color.

You should be able to get cornsyrup from foodservice suppliers, brewer's supply houses, as well as larger supermarkets: IGA and Coles sometimes have it ..

Failing that, Liquid Glucose is an Australian substitute ..

Glucose is easy enough to find and now that I've found a place to actually buy the corn syrup, it seems that more and more places closer to me actually stock it (isn't it always the way?).

My main concern is cost as I am primarily doimg cakes as a hobby and until I've become a better decorator ( I do ok with glazes, ganache and so-so with fondant but I swear buttercream hates me), I'm trying to keep my costs to a minimum.

Also I find that I have difficulty using glucose due to the viscocity. For example, my modeling chocolate never works properly if I use exactly the same measure of glucose as I would corn syrup.

Its just a PITA to hunt this stuff down.

medusas_touch Posted 1 May 2011 , 6:39am
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

[NO! Molasses alone in substitution will be WAY TOO intense a flavor.

Lol thats the way I like it. Short and sweet and to the point. Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 1 May 2011 , 7:31am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

For example, my modeling chocolate never works properly if I use exactly the same measure of glucose as I would corn syrup.

Its just a PITA to hunt this stuff down.

what it the recipe you use for modelling chocolate? I have one that uses glucose (as we dont get corn syrup either) and it works wondefull. Let me know if you want it.

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:11am
post #14 of 17

Here's an easy (and cheaper!) substitute for corn syrup: Combine 1 c. sugar and 1/4 c. water in a saucepan, simmer until it reaches a "syrupy" consistency.

A note of caution: Since corn syrup is cheap here (US), I don't use this recipe that often. It may not work in all recipes. But I have used it when making MFF, and it works great!

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 2 May 2011 , 2:50am
post #15 of 17

Can you get golden syrup in austrailia? I sometimes use it instead of corn syrup and works great!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 3 May 2011 , 4:26am
post #16 of 17

Can you gals get a hold of Agave? I use organic agave in place of corn syrup 1=1. I have made fondant, modeling chocolate, chocolate glaze, petit four icing etc. It comes in dark and light. I don't know if that's a less expensive alternative or not for you.

Good luck!

Jen

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 May 2011 , 4:48am
post #17 of 17

That's funny... I actually prefer modeling chocolate and fondant made with glucose vs corn syrup.

I don't have any recipes for caking other than those two and caramel that call for corn syrup, and I almost always use glucose instead unless I am out and need it in a pinch.

I use corn syrup for pecan pies and that's it... and golden syrup actually is better in that, but here in the states it's the golden syrup that is more expensive... LOL.

If corn syrup is that pricey... I'd find different recipes. No way I'd spend 9$ on a bottle on CS if I didn't absolutely need it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%