Fondant Issues

Decorating By neda_la Updated 30 Apr 2011 , 5:56am by tiggy2

neda_la Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neda_la Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:52am
post #1 of 3

I have made few fondant cakes, but I realized that there are two things that keep ruining my experience... And I have to cover them eventually!

First issue are the bubbles that appear when rolling the findant(not when putting it on top of the cake). They show up when I am rolling the fondant on the kitchen counter as tiny bubbles underneath the surface!

And the other problem is when putting the fondant on the cake, I smooth most of the areas on the sides but will still experience that bunch of extra fondant that makes one side of the cake wrinkly!icon_sad.gif I have seen such smooth ends of fondant when touching the plate and always wonder what they do in order to make it so nice and clean!!!
Thank you so much for taking the time and reading my post

2 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 4:56am
post #2 of 3

I have had the bubbles appear while rolling out the fondant, you just have to keep using a pin and popping them when they appear. Have you watched the videos on youtube, alot of good information about applying fondant. You just have to be patient. After I buttercream the cake I put it in the refrigerator and chill, I roll out the fondant larger than what I need. I lay on the fondant and secure the top with a fondant smoother, and I run it along the top sides of the cake first. Then I work my way around the cake securing the fondant and when a pleat appears you pull it to each side and smooth, be patient it does work. I am pretty new to covering cakes and have never had a wrinkle, so watch some videos and you will get it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 5:56am
post #3 of 3

sugarshacks Flawless Fondant DVD will solve your problems www.sugaredproductions.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%