Legal Home Bakery In Nc

Business By Sonya Updated 5 May 2011 , 4:57pm by Sonya

Sonya Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:18am
post #1 of 7

Ok so I have had some health issues and surgery and I had to take a break from cakes for a little bit but now I am back to normal and ready to go at it again icon_wink.gif I have been researching and reading anything and everything about becoming a legal home bakery and I have a few questions, since my head is spinning from information overload, lol. I live in NC, what is the exact steps I should do first to become legal?

#1: Register a business name
#2: Get a business license
#3: Check with zoning
#4: Dept. of Ag inspection

What should I do first and is there anything else I need to do?
Thanks for any help! I need to get this business going and making some extra money to pay for hospital and dr bills, blah!

6 replies
ptanyer Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:46am
post #2 of 7

Your inspection is the first thing you need to do. However, there are several steps in the inspection process. You will need to prepare a business plan (and you should check out zoning regulations as part of the business plan. You don't want to do all this work and then find out you can't do it due to zoning regulations/restrictions.) and the NC Dept. of Ag has an application form you also need to complete. These documents (and copy of water test if you have a well) need to be submitted and approved before they will schedule a time to come and inspect your kitchen/home. If you have any pets at all, you won't be allowed to be a legal home baker.

Once you have been inspected and approved, then you can register your business name. The need for a business license is dependent on the city or county you plan to operate your business in. I am not required to have a business license.

Once all that's done, you can order business cards, set up a web site/Facebook page, whatever you plan to do to promote your business.

I wish you good luck icon_smile.gif

Sonya Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:49am
post #3 of 7

Thank you so much for your help! Hopefully I can get it all set up and going pretty soon!

ptanyer Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:52am
post #4 of 7

You're welcome. Don't be surprised if it takes a month or two. Just keep working at it and stay positive about it all. icon_smile.gif

Sonya Posted 5 May 2011 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 7

Ok I have another question. I am on well water and I know I have to get my water tested and send a copy of the results in with my application for the dept of ag. Where do I get my water tested at, and what do I tell them to actually test for? Thanks for any help I really appreciate it!

mysweetconfetions Posted 5 May 2011 , 3:14pm
post #6 of 7

You go to your county health dept. for the paperwork and stuff for your water test.

Sonya Posted 5 May 2011 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you! I will go by there and get everything after I talk to zoning. Thanks everyone for the help, Im sure I will be back asking more questions, lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%