Help With Pastry Bags!

Decorating By Susan_cakes Updated 29 Apr 2011 , 10:10pm by kakeladi

Susan_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan_cakes Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,
I have decorated with non dairy whipped topping for more years than I can count! I always used canvas pastry bags. I loved working with them. There is no problem with seepage from Bettercream non dairy whipped topping. I am now using royal icing and buttercream. I have popped so many of the wilton decoratings bags! I guess I have bionic hands! Grrrr... I tried Fat Daddios plastic coated canvas, they state they are grease proof. Hmm not so sure about that one. Any suggestions on bags that have pop resistant seams and a more textured exterior?

Thanks so much!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 4

It sounds like you are making your icing much too thick. I have Wilton bags that have lasted for up to 3 years. I almost never use royal; almost always b'cream.
Are you using the disposable bags? The clear plastic ones? Those *will* pop for sure icon_sad.gif

Susan_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susan_cakes Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 4

kakeladi, Thanks for your reply! I am using the wilton featherweight bags. I dont think my buttercream is too stiff. You can see some of my buttercream work on my most recent cake post. I know if it is too thick it doesnt look smooth when you make borders. Your cakes are fabulous BTW! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 4

hehe then you must have supre powerful handsicon_smile.gif
Thanks for the compliment. I only decorate a couple of cakes a yr anymore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%