Funeral Cakes?

Decorating By rharris524 Updated 3 May 2011 , 10:44pm by theresaf

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 8:14pm
post #1 of 17

My grandfather recently passed and I was asked to contribute something for the dessert table for his services. I can make a generic, yet delicious dessert but I'm the official caker of the family and I'm thinking that they asked me so I'd make a decorated cake. I'm just not sure what is appropriate...

16 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 17

I would do a nice bible cake with calla Lilies on it....Simple but still elegant and have some really nice saying written on it...not the date he died etc...JMO

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 17

Something elegant but not particularly festive, maybe a simple square tiered cake with scrollwork. I dunno why I say square, but square seems less festive than round for some reason to me. A simple decorated cake is fine, or something like what Kiddiekakes suggested, depending on your religious preference.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 17

When I made them my thinking was the cake was for the family - the living so I made a very nice, elegant creation - usually a floral. You want to try to cheer them up icon_smile.gif
For one I was asked to put a pic of the lady on it with the birthdate and death date. One does what is ordered even if we don't always agree.
Since this is for family I think the Bible idea is best. Did he have a favorite scripture? You could add that. I'd stay away from words like 'rest in peace' or even you'll be missed. I tend to not use any words unless it's scripture.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 17

I don't know why, but I agree that square or rectangle would be more appropriate than round. And as others have suggested, if there's going to be text on it, then not names dates or personal messages - a tasteful quote/religious verse would be best.

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:00am
post #6 of 17

rharris524, I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. My condolences.

I have to say though that I've never heard of cakes for a funeral, memorial service, etc. I had no idea that was something people did. Thanks for posting this question.

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:59am
post #7 of 17

As peculiar as it may sound when you first read it, I think a cake at a funeral (when done tastefully) is a wonderful tribute and celebration of a person's life. I agree too on the square cake.. it appears more formal and definitely less festive. I am not a religious person in the least, but I do appreciate a beautiful poem or religious verse/prayer at a funeral. We had the fisherman's prayer at my father's funeral.. and this one:

A Gaelic Farewell

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face.
May the rain fall softly upon your fields until we meet again,
And may God hold you in the hollow of his hand.

Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 4:50am
post #8 of 17

you know im glad i saw this because i was about to ask the same question, one of my grandmothers best friends (I've always called her my aunt) just passed this week and my grandmother is making the arrangements. i have NO idea how to decorate the cake. thanks for posting this!

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 4:53am
post #9 of 17

My condolences on the loss of your grandfather op! I recently lost a grand aunt, and when asked to make a cake, I did a cross cake. Did a simple piped design, no writing. It was really popular and guests seemed to like the idea of a cross cake. Hope that helps!

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 6:02am
post #10 of 17

So sorry for your loss.

Perhaps talk with whoever in the family is taking charge of the 'wake' and see what their thoughts are for a theme.

I did a cake 1year ago for a family friend who lost one of her twin boys at 6months old. Everyone talked about him being taken to live as an angel in the clouds (how it was explained to all the young kids) - so I did a two tiered sky blue cake with clouds and a fondant baby on top with angel wings. If there is something that everyone associates with your granddad perhaps that could be incorporated.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:26am
post #11 of 17

He was a singer his whole life and we're irish and almost all of his friends that are attending are his friends from his barbershop quartet club. I think that I'm going to pipe the sides with the music notes for "Danny Boy" and those who know will know and those who don't will still understand my use of music notes. And then do some gumpaste calla lilies on top. Unfortunately, it has to be round because the cake store here is closed on Sunday and Monday and I had to work all day today and the only drum I have is round. I'm going to do chocolate brown and ivory with some green in the bouquet. Does that sound appropriate?

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 1 May 2011 , 1:52am
post #12 of 17

That sounds perfect, those in the know will find the notes piped on the sides to have special meaning. Bet it will look fab and be a real tribute. Take care

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 1 May 2011 , 2:17am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetooth0510

That sounds perfect, those in the know will find the notes piped on the sides to have special meaning. Bet it will look fab and be a real tribute. Take care

I totally agree with this. Very tasteful but will have wonderful meaning.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 1 May 2011 , 5:41pm
post #14 of 17

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.
What a beautiful way you have found to honor your grandfather.

ashleyandben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleyandben Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:39am
post #15 of 17

I am just a hobby baker so my cake wasn't anything fancy. But this is what I did for a friend on short notice for a funeral. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2014700

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 2 May 2011 , 1:58am
post #16 of 17

I just did my second cake for a funeral. My sister just called me this past Monday for a cake on Saturday. I send my deepest sympathy and prayers at this time to you and your family. This is the cake I just did. I hope this helps.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2019702

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 3 May 2011 , 10:44pm
post #17 of 17

Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandfather. Why not make something that was his favorite cake? It reminds everyone of happy memories and good thoughts about your grandfather as he lived. Sometimes cakes do not have to be in the shape of something when you are expressing something from your heart.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%