Will These Cupcakes Last For 48 Hours Before Being Eaten?

Baking By CounselorMom Updated 30 Apr 2011 , 3:22am by LacyHogan

CounselorMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CounselorMom Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to baking cupcakes. I have made birthday cakes and decorated them nicely, but cupcakes are new to me. I have researched that chocolate cupcakes don't seem to last as long as other flavors.

I am using this recipe for the cake and cupcakes:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Too-Much-Chocolate-Cake/Detail.aspx

The party is Sunday for my son. If I make the cupcakes tonight and use the Wilton buttercream recipe and store them in the refrigerator, will it stay fresh until then? It will be about 48 hours before they are eaten.

3 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 4

It's a cake mix. They have chemicals in those things to keep them moist for days. It should be fine.

As for hearing that chocolate cake does not last long as other cakes, my experience has been the other way around. I have had chocolate, when it stays in the house that long, last up to 5 days. You should be fine.

To be on the safe side, store them in an air tight container. You should do that no matter what flavor cupcake you make.

CounselorMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CounselorMom Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for responding! I thought the same thing about chocolate, I always thought chocolate would last longer but saw different responses. Thanks again!

LacyHogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LacyHogan Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:22am
post #4 of 4

Absolutely! I always bake ahead and store and in my opinion, the day old cupcakes sometimes taste better than fresh! 2 days is no big deal at all especially in the fridge. I would definitely make sure that i store them in a cupcake carrier or some other air tight container. This has worked extremely well for my quality of cupcakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%