Is My Cake Done? Help!!

Baking By 1CupcakeCutie Updated 1 May 2011 , 11:09pm by 1CupcakeCutie

1CupcakeCutie Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 6

I baked a strawberry cake two days ago and wrapped it in saran wrap then put it in the fridge. When I had put my cake tester in the middle it came up as moist crumbs - no streaking. Today I torted the cake and the middle is gooey-ish!! It seems to be in crumb "form" still but it's so hard to tell if it was cooked enough. This is the first time I've used this recipe so I'm not sure if it's supposed to be this moist. Help!! icon_eek.gif

5 replies
JanH Posted 1 May 2011 , 12:27am
post #2 of 6

What recipe did you use, what size pan, how long did you bake at what temperature?

But if you think the center is gooey (or sunken) it's probably not baked all the way through. icon_sad.gif

HTH

1CupcakeCutie Posted 1 May 2011 , 3:56am
post #3 of 6

It wasn't sunken, but definitely very dense. I had a couple of people try some of the scraps and they said it was definitely done and actually tasted great so I guess I got lucky! Next time I will leave it in for longer. icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 1 May 2011 , 7:30am
post #4 of 6

If the cake scraps were from the outside of the cake layer (left-overs from leveling, etc.) - it doesn't guarantee that the inside of the cake layer was cooked thoroughly because a cake bakes from the outside in.

(That's why a cooled underbaked cake layer can't be returned to the oven for further baking - because the outside would be baked again in order to finish baking the inside.)

HTH

didavista Posted 1 May 2011 , 10:36am
post #5 of 6

I would torte it that way I could SEE what is inside!

1CupcakeCutie Posted 1 May 2011 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 6

I actually did torte it, and that's when I noticed the big moist crumbs. It's true the scraps were from the top but the middle of the top was the same consistency as the center of the cake. Next time I will add more minutes on the timer so I don't have to worry about it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%