Cake Flopped And Customer Is Coming To Pick It Up!

Decorating By Fryemama Updated 30 Apr 2011 , 6:17pm by Bijoudelanuit

Fryemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fryemama Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 24

Well, last night I had problems with it. It was humid, my icing was running and my large fondant figure collapsed into the middle of the cake. I picked it up and slid a board under the figure and piped some icing around the areas that cracked and tore the cake apart. The fondant figure cracked. That cake just plains sucks and I am so embarrassed for my friend to come pick it up. I am going to apologize and explain to her what went wrong. Should I not charge her? It was a lot of work not to get something out of it. What should I do or say so she won't think badly of me?

23 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 24

I would just explained what happened and take her lead as to whether she finds the cake to be acceptable. If she still wants the cake (is it edible?) then I would just charge for your ingredients--if the cake is as bad as you say it is. Kinda hard to tell without a picture. Sorry this happened to you.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 24

......going to apologize and explain to her what went wrong. Should I not charge her? It was a lot of work not to get something out of it. What should I do or say so she won't think badly of me? .....

It might now be as bad as you thinkicon_smile.gif We are our own worst critics.
Do NOT explain what went wrong! Do NOT even mention any problems. You will be surprised how they will not be seen by the 'average person' who knows nothing about caking icon_smile.gif
Let her reaction guide you. If she offers to pay, take it! You worked hard for iticon_smile.gif If she shows she is unhappy then gently tell her thing just were not going right and you are soooooo very sorry. Don't go into any details (you could mention that humidity is a killer) - most likely they will not understand anywayicon_smile.gif
Good luck and do let usknow how it goes. Hope you have a pic of this creation. Post it so we can help you figure out how to keep such things from happening in the future.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:32pm
post #4 of 24

I think it depends on how bad it actually is... Can you post a pic so we can give you our opinions? Sometimes they look worse to us than they do to others...

cakegirl1973 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 24

I would just explained what happened and take her lead as to whether she finds the cake to be acceptable. If she still wants the cake (is it edible?) then I would just charge for your ingredients--if the cake is as bad as you say it is. Kinda hard to tell without a picture. Sorry this happened to you.

Fryemama Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:39pm
post #6 of 24

I'll post a pic when I get home after it's a done deal. I'm at work and freaking out because I don't have time to do anything else to it before I meet her at the house. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I'll let ya'll know what transpires. I just want to scream. I vowed last night that this cake stuff is done for me or at least for a while. I need a break. I'm too embarrassed to even post a pic for you all to see!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 4:41pm
post #7 of 24

If I had a paid client and I baked a cake that had quality issues, I would never expect someone to pay for it. I would actually offer money back and I would bake her next similar cake at no charge.

Fryemama Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 24

Oh my goodness! I just got a text from my friend and she needs to pick the cake up in the morning! Should I undecorate the cake and re ice it and just cover it with fondant and redecorate. I could patch my frog up with some royal icing the same color.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 5:44pm
post #9 of 24

Its hard to tell, if we could see the cake we could make a better judgement. If it is has you upset I would definitely re-do the cake. keep the cake refrigerated, it will firm up.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 29 Apr 2011 , 5:47pm
post #10 of 24

Looks like you just got a lucky break! If you now have the time and you know you can fix it; I definitely would! Even though it might consume your Friday night, you'll be glad that you did!

Fryemama Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:07pm
post #11 of 24

So it looks like my lucky break didn't last! My customer texted me back and said she could come by and pick up the cake last night instead of this morning. I explained to her all the problems that I had and told her I wouldn't charge her. She wouldn't accept that. She insisted on paying me. But here's a picture of my disaster. You'll notice that the fondant stripes are not straight because of the icing on the sides drooped down and the pink lily pad that the frog was sitting on was shattered. I piped icing all around it. Ugh!
http://cakecentral.com//gallery/2019645

cakegirl1973 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:40pm
post #12 of 24

I think it is a cute cake and not nearly the disater that you think it is!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:41pm
post #13 of 24

Your cake really is cute. Maybe we can't see it, but it looks fine. And you have a good friend.

heather208 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather208 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:43pm
post #14 of 24

Oh for goodness sake.....not NEARLY as bad as you think! lol cute little frog.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:45pm
post #15 of 24

Well, all in all you did a good save...it look quite exceptable...maybe not what you wanted but you did well under the circumstances.....Glad your customer was so understanding and wanted to pay you....I sure we have all be in your shoes....I know I have taken down an iced cake and started over.

DaniNicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaniNicole Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:45pm
post #16 of 24

Honestly, I don't think the cake looks bad at all; I was expecting MUCH worse based on your description. It is a cute cake, be proud of it! icon_biggrin.gif

cakegirl1973 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:48pm
post #17 of 24

I think it is a cute cake and not nearly the disater that you think it is!

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 2:57pm
post #18 of 24

It's a really cute cake!

MAMAWOF4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAMAWOF4 Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:27pm
post #19 of 24

I think it is just fine - I do understand - the first wedding cake I did was a total disaster - I made a mixture of bc and smbc for the frosting - she wanted textured buttercream (what could be easier??) The butter in the smbc solidified into lumps and if the cake got the least bit warm, the frosting started sliding. 3 hours before it was due I scraped off every bit of frosting - made a new batch of bc and started over - it happens to us all at one time or another. How did your friend like it?

Jan14grands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jan14grands Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:32pm
post #20 of 24

From your description, I thought the cake would be so awful. BUT it ISN"T. I think it's actually cute, so don't be so hard on yourself icon_smile.gif Sometimes when we have problems with our cakes, we think they are horrible because we hate them after all the trouble we've had with them. Don't give up and quit.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 3:41pm
post #21 of 24

It is very cute and I hope they were delighted with it. I know that you aren't, but you were fighting with it for quite a while so the parts that stick out for you see are the parts that didn't go as you intended. I know when that happens to me, I can't see the forest for the trees (really the twigs on the trees)....but what my family/friends see is the whole forest.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 4:07pm
post #22 of 24

Did I not say we are our own worst critics??
That cake is nowhere near the disaster you think it is.
Granted it might not be as perfect as we all want our cakes to be but I bet the customer would not even have noticed how 'horrible' it was - **and that's because it NOT icon_smile.gif**

Fryemama Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 4:30pm
post #23 of 24

Aww! Thank you all so much for your help and sweet comments! I'm glad that cake is out of this house!!! Such a burden lifted off of me! I'm going to take a break for a couple of weeks!!!! Thanks again!!!

Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 30 Apr 2011 , 6:17pm
post #24 of 24

That was your disaster? It is so super cute!!! I love your frog and the colors... and think it is great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%